4x4 question..... thanks.

guitarguru

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 4x4
Hey guys,
I was having problems getting my 4x4 to engage. I read a few threads about common fixes for this problem so I went out and tapped on the shift motor and sure enough it worked. I also did not know that I had to have the clutch pressed in in order for 4x4 low to engage so that worked as well. Well my questions is..... When I press 4x4 the light on the switch comes on and I can hear noise in the back but the 4x4 high light on the instrument cluster does NOT come on BUT when I put it in 4x4 low the light both on the switch and instrument cluster comes on. I was just wondering if anyone knows why it is that 4x4 high light on the instrument cluster does NOT come on? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys! :feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In 4Lo, do you have the "4x4" & "Low Range" lights on the dash or just low range illuminated?

If it's actually going into 4x4 (either high or low) and the lights next to the respective buttons are illuminated along with the Low Range indicator, but the 4x4 isn't lighting up, chances are it's a burnt / missing bulb.

In 4Lo, do you have the "4x4" & "Low Range" lights on the dash or just low range illuminated?

If it's actually going into 4x4 (either high or low) and the lights next to the respective buttons are illuminated along with the Low Range indicator, but the 4x4 isn't lighting up, chances are it's a burnt / missing bulb.

When I'm in 4Lo both the amber light next to the 4x4low switch and the "low range" light on the instrument cluster light up. but when I am in 4Hi only the amber light next to the 4hi switch comes on. are those bulbs hard to replace? Thanks for the response.

Not difficult but can be somewhat time consuming.

You have to remove the instrument "finish panel", the ash tray and ash tray retainer to get to the bulbs. From start to finish and being careful the entire way, I'd guess 45 minutes to an hour.

You have to remove the gauge cluster to get to the bulb holders. Do the affore mentioned tasks then remove the 4 screws for the gauge cluster. Pull it out far enough to get to the holder and twist it out. Be careful not to damage the printed circut on the back of the cluster. You shouldn't have to remove the wires or speedo cable.

I think they are #195 bulbs, but I am not certain.

Alright. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks much for the info guys. Appreciate it. :)

Back