• Register Today It's free!

4X4 working? or not?

02dubs

Reaction score
City, State
leland/ Traveres City, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I have a 02 explorer XLS. last winter it was stuck in 4 high for a week after a really bad snow storm with big drifts....after about a week it finally broke loose and has never gone into 4x4 again. All the dash lights and buttons for 4 wheel options still work. If i put it in NEUTRAL and engage 4x4 LOW it will engage and creep but just the back tires will spin tho...so this tells me the shifter motor is still working???? also is ther vacuum lines in the front drivtrain the could have posiablly been disconnected which would cause it not to engage or be stuck in 4x4 for about a week? or sensors that would cause this? Also the rear diff is leaking out of the pasanger side seal would this cause it? but this just started 2 months agio and 4wheel hasent worked in over a year. is there sensors in the back that would cause it not to engage at all? or wheel sensors that would cause this as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a AWD but I’ll try to help from what I remember reading, seems like its either the motor or module and it sounds like it could be either one. You might be able to pull codes for it.

If i put it in NEUTRAL and engage 4x4 LOW it will engage and creep but just the back tires will spin tho...so this tells me the shifter motor is still working????

Maybe working but one of the symptoms is it’s stuck in 4x4, and it sounds like the front drive shaft is not engaging.

also is ther vacuum lines in the front drivetrain the could have possibly been disconnected which would cause it not to engage or be stuck in 4x4 for about a week?

Didn’t think there was a vacuum system in 3rd gens or a front disconnect.

or sensors that would cause this?

ABS, 4x4 Module might

Also the rear diff is leaking out of the pasanger side seal would this cause it?

Shouldn’t be related.

or wheel sensors that would cause this as well?

Yes, possibly be the ABS sensor, but ABS should be out as well with the light on.
jim

Agree with jrford and to add you might want to check the transfer case shift motor as that sounds like your problem.

sounds like the 4x4 control module

You said it was stuck in 4x4 high, then it "broke loose" and you no longer have power to the front wheels. Barring a broken U-joint (you'd know, it would be dragging on the ground), one of two things has broken: Front diff, or transfer case. The transfer case does two things - shifts in and out of low, and shifts torque to the front wheels when requested. The low gear part of it is working, but it appears that you have broken the other portion of it, by driving on dry pavement in 4-Hi. This is why they tell you not to do that.

How long did it take u guys to swap out a t case and a rear end?

Since my AWD is still working. . . i did have my xfer case rebuilt on a jeep. Trans rebuild by a shop cost $650 for a nv242. It had over 120k miles on its a mech case and the shifter broke. Another one in an older jeep also wore out, it had vibrations, weird noise coming out of it, i went reman for $800 on that one.

With your X there is a electric Motor that does the shifting common failure point - i'd bet on it but i can't 'hear' it to tell for sure. Might be able to change it without removing the case. . . .don't know for sure, might find something here in an old post. BUT if you drove around for a while in 4wd and its locked xfer case, something might be tore up inside. Pulling it is not hard if you have the helper, manual, special tools and hoist. . . .i sure don't. You ever in Detroit? RC Trans and Gear, Royal Oak, highly recommended.

Back