• Register Today It's free!

5.0 coyote/'10 STA...stupid?

Ottermahn

Reaction score
City, State
Aiea, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 STA 4.6 (silver)
Hello y'all! As my newbie post stated, I'm looking to dream on my Adrenaline...it's a V8, and would love to know two things, first is $7k is the coyote crate...big undertaking for engine swap? And second, my 6R60 transmission isn't the 6R80 that was mated to the coyote...problems?

Thank you in advance for all your insight,

Ottermahn,
P.S. Start pushbutton?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the 5.4 swap is going to be a lot more economical. Your going to have $10k in just the motor and computer by the time your ready to go. And there there are all the other little odds and ends. With that much money you could build a really nice 5.4 that would make a whole lot more power than the new 5.0.

Thanks for the input. If the 5.4 swap I recently read in this forum is true, then I'll be forced to upgrade the tranny too! For me, it wouldn't be an upgrade for horses as much as being able to have a Warner Bros. character on my STA.

You have a '10 STA and want to spend $10K on another motor/trans so you can put a Coyote decal on your truck.:crazy: LOL ! You obviously have way too much $$$$ on your hands. Send me a large suitcase of $100 bills and I'll put on a coyote suit and ride in the back of your truck.:D:D:D

I'm an active duty sailor, wealthy...ha! You are wrong. Crazy about a ford project, yes, yes I am. My money will go down my crazy dream, and to those who help me achieve that dream, because that's what you do when you're crazy.

I've come to this forum for your expertise, not your ridicule.

Fair enough, I'm sure Nikolai Tesla was also awash with both...especially good ol' Thomas Edison grand standing the peanut gallery.

I'm an active duty sailor, wealthy...ha! You are wrong. Crazy about a ford project, yes, yes I am. My money will go down my crazy dream, and to those who help me achieve that dream, because that's what you do when you're crazy.

I've come to this forum for your expertise, not your ridicule.

I, as the others here I'm sure, appreciate your service to our Country. Most of us are crazy about Fords or just crazy. My comment was an attempt at a bit of humor, :D not ridicule. ;) A sense of humor will serve you well here ...... or at least a warning that you don't have one. :( I'll take this as that. Be glad to help you as I can, Sir.

Dear Mr. NCRanchero,
First off, thank you for your appreciation of my continuing sacrifice.
Next, I am truly understanding of your sense of humor. When I first read your post, I actually imagined my bed filled with a "mascot" sized man in costume waving a flag and "wee!-ing" like the little piggy in the GEICO commercial.
And yes, I did preface this thread with 'crazy'. But I have yet to do an engine swap, I am looking at least two years down the road with actually implementing this idea and just wanted honest feedback as to the feasability of this swap.
You have 'moderator' status on this site, so I hope your knowledge can highlight which modding experts here may have experience with my dream...in fact, I'm counting on it.
Thank you for your honesty, and I hope you post frequently.

Fair enough, I'm sure Nikolai Tesla was also awash with both...especially good ol' Thomas Edison grand standing the peanut gallery.

Please tell me you did not just compare yourself to Tesla or Edison. I mean really all you want to do is a drive train swap. Your not curing cancer!!

Please tell me you did not just compare yourself to Tesla or Edison. I mean really all you want to do is a drive train swap. Your not curing cancer!!

Yes I did.

Curing cancer?

Stuffing a new Coyote powerplant into a ST and dealing with all of the fitment, electrical, and operational issues to do so successfully is getting pretty close to that in task...

220px-3phase-rmf-noadd-60f-airopt.gif

Great comparison, Otter! :thumbsup: :)

Engine swapping, and getting it right, this day & time might near takes a miracle!! Now back in "the good old days.........":D:D

Well boys, I have been watching this post since it began. As far as the Coyote engine platform in the Mustang going into a ST....I look at it this way, the 4.6 3V went into the Mustang and the ST, I expect the new 302 will fit in an ST also....just figure out the electronics and make it work. After reading about the new engine in the 2011 Mustang, I had to try it out.
After driving one, as in the words of Will Smith, " I got to get me one of these". It's downstairs with the 83 GT convertible and the 85 GT T-Tops.
The old 97 Exporer and the STA live in the garage.

Pics or ban... :D

Great thread as I have been thinking this same thing. I hadn't factored the trans, but with the cost of the 5.0 comparable to a supercharger for the 4.6 with roughly the same output, the 5.0 seemed the way to go.

Interested in reading how far this gets. I like blower whine, but an NA 5.0 mil seems the way to go if the stock trans will bolt up and hold it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From experience, take what you expect to pay for the whole project from start to finish.... And double it.

The 6r60 is crap. The torque converter isn't designed for any kind of real power, and the tuning is non-existent. Plan to put a manual trans in it if you go with a Coyote. I'm about to start the manual trans conversion process in the next few months to go behind the 5.4.

Back