5.0 swap- really worth the trouble? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap- really worth the trouble?

Oh...believe me...the FAST system is far from going backwards. Take some time and research it. It has the capability of controlling each individual injector...something the factory cannot do. It can control the NO2 hit if you want one. More things than I can write about here. When it gets to radical, high hp applications, the factory PCM just isn't flexible enough to handle the needs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang with all this talk I think I may give up on a 5.0 swap into my Sport Track. I just had my ST inspected and it failed because I had a tune installed. So I had to put the stock tune back in and it passed. So I assume since they use the OBDII port for emission testing that I cannot do the swap?

Dang with all this talk I think I may give up on a 5.0 swap into my Sport Track. I just had my ST inspected and it failed because I had a tune installed. So I had to put the stock tune back in and it passed. So I assume since they use the OBDII port for emission testing that I cannot do the swap?

Chad you have a state with emissions testing, so you have to find out in advance what kind of swaps are legal for you. Each state has different laws, and on this site a lot of people have no testing or restrictions. A few others have given some ideas about their states laws, all of those comments help.

Oh...believe me...the FAST system is far from going backwards. Take some time and research it. It has the capability of controlling each individual injector...something the factory cannot do. It can control the NO2 hit if you want one. More things than I can write about here. When it gets to radical, high hp applications, the factory PCM just isn't flexible enough to handle the needs.

Thanks for the further comments, I'll look into that more with my friend when he gets serious with the car. I told him that the only thing that he couldn't control was fuel distribution, but that with port injection the lower intake would determine air distribution. With a custom upper intake for a plenum to mount a throttle body onto, that could be important.

I haven't heard of anyone on the Corral selling any used system like the FAST, but do you know what they cost in total?

I have to tell you Coz...if you have ANY doubts at all about this, then do not do it! You will end up half way through it, get discouraged, and end up selling the thing for 10 cents on the dollar.
When I did my 4.0 swap I dove right in with my doubts, the wiring ended up being easier than I expected, whole swap took me about a week.

I haven't heard of anyone on the Corral selling any used system like the FAST, but do you know what they cost in total?

These are typically high end kits. They aren't cheap:

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...TGY&Store_Code=FS&Category_Code=XFI_COMPUTERS

But when you build radical stuff...nothing is better. These guys have been around forever. They know what they're doing. There are a lot of EFI racers and street brawlers running this system as it does so much. Call them. They don't mind talking to you and explaining it's virtues.

Thanks, I've bookmarked the page. I see why they don't get offered used often, they do have nice TB's etc.

Well, I did the swap!! (In a manner of speaking) I got a 4.6 litre Eddie Bauer to replace my 4.0 Sport!!;)

to kinda go back on whether the swap is worth it, i personally think that sohc vs. v8, id stick with the sohc. my reasoning for this is that, there really isnt much of a power difference stock, and compared to the cost and effort of a v8 swap, you could take that time and money into making a quite powerful v6. i mean with the current gen v6 mustang, there is a decent sized after market almost comperable to that of the 5.0. i see no reason why an sohc with about 4k in it wont make 350whp or more. if your really keen on having a v8, why not just sell the v6 X and buy a v8?

to kinda go back on whether the swap is worth it, i personally think that sohc vs. v8, id stick with the sohc. my reasoning for this is that, there really isnt much of a power difference stock, and compared to the cost and effort of a v8 swap, you could take that time and money into making a quite powerful v6. i mean with the current gen v6 mustang, there is a decent sized after market almost comperable to that of the 5.0. i see no reason why an sohc with about 4k in it wont make 350whp or more. if your really keen on having a v8, why not just sell the v6 X and buy a v8?

I did. Look at post #68. :D

v8 swap

well people,I have a built up 289 with a carb and tko 5 speed stick to drop in 96 Exlporer Sport, 2 wheel drive,perfect body,in kentucky no vet testing...whadda ya think? ( it sounds like a NASCAR) !!!!.
I want something different, my friend has a 97 stock explorer with 6 cyl and >>> 446,873 miles on it, never been apart, doesn't use oil....with a history like that I can't wait for mine to wear out, I dont have that much patience.

well people,I have a built up 289 with a carb and tko 5 speed stick to drop in 96 Exlporer Sport, 2 wheel drive,perfect body,in kentucky no vet testing...whadda ya think? ( it sounds like a NASCAR) !!!!.
I want something different, my friend has a 97 stock explorer with 6 cyl and >>> 446,873 miles on it, never been apart, doesn't use oil....with a history like that I can't wait for mine to wear out, I dont have that much patience.

was that a typo or are you serious??

Seriously, no typo. He is a computer trainer and travels across the northeast to different Ford plants teaching computer. When he had 288,000 miles, the engine factory told him to come back at 300,000 miles and they would put in a new engine for free because they wanted to analyze his motor. He did not have time,he said and just blew on past so this is original motor. A couple of notes..from day one his oil changes were every 5000 miles,used valvoline oil and a bottle of Lucas oil treatment...you know the stuff on the parts counter with the 2 crank handles and gears. Other than tune up stuff the first thing that went wrong was a belt tensioner pulley at 210,000 miles, then an alternator shortly afterwards, transmission at 260,000. at 320,000 I changed the coil pack and wires also I put the first fuel filter on at 415,000 miles. I have pictures but don't know how to get them on the website.

Explorer V-6 is the same as a mustang v-6? I had no idea, but who sells the parts you are referring to? I still want to do a V-8 swap in my Sport Trac.

Chad, I let that post/comment go as not well informed. I have a 347 that will kill the "...why an sohc with about 4k in it wont make 350whp..." engine, and it cost me the same money. Given the same money the 4.0 has no chance compared to the 5.0, so continue with your V8 swap plans. Any money spent on the V6 will produce more power with the V8, and the V8 trans is much stronger. Regards,

I agree 110% about the V-8. The V-6 motor is ticking time bomb of a motor, and I would never build one.

I now need help in trying to locate a donor vehicle... Do I just drive to junkyards every weekend? Or is there a locating service for junkyards? Any help would be very nice. I have been looking on Ebay but they are going for about $3-4k.

I was looking for a wreck in the web sites for the companies who auction them off, Sadisko, Verastar. I suggest finding out what the closest source for those are in your area. I found someone who could buy one for me, but ended up finding a truck in a salvage yard that buys from them. They almost all end up in a salvage yard, the best deal is to buy them at an auction where the yards get them.

Most people find local yards and see which buy more of the kind of vehicle they are looking for. I wouldn't pay more than about $1500 for a whole truck. You sometimes read about one that went for less than $1000 whole.

Back