5.0HO Resources/Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0HO Resources/Advice

Hey all. I'm thinking about starting a rebuild for a 5.0 HO basket case I have sitting in the garage for the 93 expo. The heads have been stripped and I have no cam other than that though it's complete (in pieces). So I want to head to the pull a part yard and start getting some of the missing parts. I was wondering about heads. There are a ton of 2nd gen v8's there and i'd like to know a little about the gt40 heads on the HO engine and possibly even the expo cam. Would there be worse performance with this setup? I do plan on doing some head work as well. There's so much information out there it's hard to know where to start and I just want to get started out on the right foot!

The explorer cam SUCKS, if you wanting to do it on the cheap with junkyard parts I would get an HO cam and GT40p heads from a late 2nd gen explorer, get the explorers intake manifold while your pulling parts as well. I would guess that would put you in the 240hp range.

Yeah i was thinking i'd pull the intake as well after reading a bit on other forums. I'm not in a rush for this so i'm gonna try my hand at porting the heads myself (i have a spare set I can practice on), pretty much just a gasket match. Any other cars come with the 5.0 HO? There doesn't seem to be a ton of mustangs at the yard I go to.

Back