• Register Today It's free!

5.4 Triton Conversion

DOHC Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited
Has done the 5.4 Harley Davidson Supercharged conversion on these explorers I have been trying to get some type of heads up of what I may run into when I do the conversion I have a 95 explorer Limited that will be my guinea pig for this conversion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main problem you'll run into is room! :D

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 693

damn!! had no idea there was such a difference. thats insane how much bigger the 4.6 is

and that 5.4 is probably a little bit bigger than the 4.6

I believe that Ford did not change to the 4.6/5.4 untill the 3rd gen. because of the size. They switched to the 4.6 in the cars in 1994 or 1995, then pickups summer 1996 (1997 F150). I had a 1995 Thunderbird with the 4.6 and it was a great motor. I looked into doing a 5.4 swap into my Tbird, and the blocks are not much different in sice. My 4.6 had pretty much same power as my 2001 5.0. At least the average person can work on the internals of the 5.0. The modular motor with DOHC is more complicated than the good ole pushrod. :)

I believe the 5.4 has a taller deck, which makes it even wider.

Have an opportunity to get a hold of a 2003 Harley supercharged 5.4 engine/tranny. The 5.4 engine looks mean and big but don't know if anybody here has successfully done one. I'm in the fence to go either 5.0 or 5.4. I know the fitment will be a challenge if I go with the 5.4 route...not to mention the cost. Searched the forums across the internet but nobody has done one on either a ranger or explorer. Any help would be great.

thanks

:salute:

I've seen a 4.6 in a Ranger... it'll drop right in and bolt right up. The 5.4 will present some more clearance issues, but I'm sure it's not insurmountable.

If it was me, I'd drop a 5.0 or 4.6 in. They'll both fit for sure. Making a 4.6 fit in a 95 will be a bit tougher, but it's doable.

-Joe

watching power block last weekend, they said a stroked 4.6 really is just a 5.0...

ever thought about that?

watching power block last weekend, they said a stroked 4.6 really is just a 5.0...

ever thought about that?

5.0 is the new displacement of a stroked 4.6

ever thought about that?

Uuuuh, no... completely different motors, completely different designs (OHC versus in-block cam), completely different power and thermal characteristics.

It's like calling a 4.3 Vortec a LS1 minus two cylinders.... It's apples to oranges.

-Joe

i'm just saying what i heard. and read what boominx said...

i'm just posting something that might or might not help.

sorry if i'm not an expert, just thought i'd put it out there. guess it was wrong to.

sorry if i'm not an expert, just thought i'd put it out there. guess it was wrong to.

lol welcome to my world

i'm just saying what i heard. and read what boominx said...

5.0 is the new displacement of a stroked 4.6

I DID read what he wrote... Apparently his sentiment wasn't clear... I don't think he was agreeing with you, I think he was pointing out the fallacy in your statement: If you bore and stroke a 4.6L motor, you can end up with a motor that displaces 5.0 liters. That's not the same as calling them the same motor.

(Boomin', please correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth....)

My point is that they're nothing like each other. With enough time and money, it's certainly possible to drop a 4.6 or a 5.0 under the hood of a Ranger or Explorer. People do it every day. However, the added size of the 5.4 plus the extra weight/height of the supercharger, and the extra length of the trans are going to pose a few major challenges.

We haven't even discussed wiring, engine controls, and ignition yet... That's a whole 'nother headache...

-Joe

Back