5R55 Servo problem

SGMACHINE

Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks,Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 NBX
Hi Fellas,
Greetings from Fairbanks AK!. Excellent site. There is a ton of info on here and I have used plenty of it to get my 03 NBX back on the road a couple of times.
My issue:
I had the familiar no second gear or OD issue that these transmissions have. In order to narrow down the issue I pulled the Overdrive Servo and sure enough the shaft was broken right where the fluid passages are drilled. My problem is that the end of the piston is still in the bore and it doesnt want to come out. I have an assortment of magnets and pliers and nothing can get that thing out. I can get it close to the edge of the bore and if I push in on it it has some spring to it which makes me think that the band is good. Does the servo piston "Snap" in to the shoe or does it just sit in there and there is no good reason for it not to come out? Also who has seen the piston actually break?
Thanks.

if you pull the servo out the piece that contacts the band may fall into the case. I am going to post some pics of my band replacement in another thread.

regards
sam

Back