• Register Today It's free!

5R55E acts like it is in drive

tfarnsw

Reaction score
City, State
Bath, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
alright guys i need some help, my trucks transmission (5R55E) started doing the O/D light blinking, so i took it to a shop and told them to look at it and all they told me was it needed rebuild, when i picked it up later on that day my truck was then stuck in drive, in park it would try to go forward and in reverse and neutral same thing, i dropped my pan and pulled my valve body out, not only was my gasket blown but also a feel small components of the valve body itself were floating around in the pan. I bought a remanufactured valve body put it in and still the same, but a new transmission range sensor in Park the truck still wants to go forward same with neutral but when im in reverse it doesnt do anything like it is trying to go forward and backwards at the same time. need some outside the box thinking here!

Update on the problem, pulled the transmission out and took it apart. I found that the coast and dirst clutch assemblies are still in good condition, what i did find was that the forward clutch assembly was destroyed, the planetary gear inside the clutch assembly had a bearing fail and one of the gears was stuck in place and would not rotate. I also found that the clutch plates and steel plates were whorped and stuck together. So after my findings i believe that because of the planetary gear failure caused the transmission to stay engaged in drive. i will update in a few days after the rebuild and let everyone know what i find if anyone has any question post and i will let you know.

well i rebuilt the transmission and put it back in the truck yesterday and none of the gears work. when you put it in a gear the soleniods are working but its not doing anything i have been reading forums and people are saying the valve body, torque converter, or pump is bad. The V.B. is new as well as the torque converter. I dont know if the T.C. is not fully engaged on the pump and if it is not how would you make sure it stays on when putting it back in?

Back