5R55E - no 2nd gear hot | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E - no 2nd gear hot

I just revisited the VB diary post #45 and notice you mention something about alignment of the blowoff valve. I did see the dimple in the face of the valve which I believe is to identify the valve but there is no mention of any alingment in my instruction sheet so far as rotational alignment. Am I reading to much into your instructions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no improper alignment. And as I look at post 20 I see why it is confusing, I will fix it, and I have no idea why that spring is lying there! I will revisit 45 and make sure I clear up any confusion. Thanks for the critical eye. It is a just a popoff valve...with a ball relief.... You are doing fine. Take a deep breath.... this is not as complicated as you have been led to believe.

Post 45 is more clear now, thank you.

5R55E Vb

I sure do appreciate your help and patients. Thxs.

My goals here are pretty simple and modest. LEARN as much as I can, alone and/or through others. SHARE what I have learned. HELP people succeed in learning and doing.

I do not want ANYONE to try.... and fail. And, because people are sooo afraid of auto trannies... when they DO succeed (and they all do eventually), they are on top of the world! I think I can count SIX total rebuilds based on the diaries!

I was just looking at the pictures in the diary that you were talking about. It said that the 5R55E boost valve only came in a plain design without the O rings unlike the one on the A4LD. They do look similar. Do you think it might be possible to interchange the better one with O rings into this one? I know that a lot of parts are interchangeable.

5r55e

Now that we have solved the 2nd gear shift problem, I'm wondering what I can do to improve upon the shift quality and possible overall reliability. Any suggestions? I ordered the OEM shop manual ($37 CND) for the trans and hope to get a better understanding of it's internals. ;)

Wrench said:
Now that we have solved the 2nd gear shift problem, I'm wondering what I can do to improve upon the shift quality and possible overall reliability. Any suggestions? I ordered the OEM shop manual ($37 CND) for the trans and hope to get a better understanding of it's internals. ;)

Transmission wise, the 5R55 was FORD's improvement of the A4LD, and they did a good job. Shift improvement wise, the shift kits are about all that there is. Do the superior kit and I think you will be happy. It is all covered in the Diary.

Gasket failure

The only real reason I can figure the seperator gasket failing on the plate to case side is an overpressure problem which the OEM modified blowoff valve addresses plus having the gaskets bonded to the plate. So if you try to increase the line pressure will not the blowoff valve counter any other mods you do in the way of trying to increase pressure. Strange that the seperator plate gasket only failed on the case side and not the VB side. Any thoughts on that?

5R55e factory manual

Well I thought I was getting an OEM trans manual only to now find out that it is no longer offered from Mazda. If I did want one I would have to go to Ford and buy the complete shop manual ($190tcdn) which includes the trans section. I already have the shop manual from Mazda so that rules out that route. What does ATSG stand for and is this manual ok. What's it cost and where to buy. Any other suggestion for a decent manual.

The EPC blowoff valve only comes into play at very high pressures, the modifications may up line line pressure, but not the EPC pressures. (Take that with a grain of salt, I am pretty confident I am right, never gauged it though). PM me regarding the manual. I may be able to help.

I'm in a bit of a pickle I bought a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4 liter engine has the 5 r55E transmission. When I bought it there's no reverse it wine and no Drive but I had Drive 2 and drive 1 after which under 45 miles an hour it was slipping and whining but above 50 55 was shifting fine so I proceeded to go and drop the belly pan and replace the valve body gaskets put everything back together got no reverse no Drive and at times and drive 2 and drive 1 I have reverse. I might add I put a new filter in proceeded to completely flush the system and got no tranny fluid at all and neither one of the transmission cooler lines both top or bottom. I've read a lot of the threads in regards to little plunger that wasn't put back a buddy of mine was the one that put the valve body back and me going blind folded into this I had no clothes in it so I'm wondering if it's the plunger that's giving me the issue. I'd be deeply grateful for any kind of help.

Back