5r55e p0741 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e p0741

Dgr714

Reaction score
In your guys opinions what should I do? I have 1999 explorer sport with a 5r55e trans in it with 186000 ive owned it since 92000 and under normal driving conditions it will go into over drive but occasionally it doesn't an after a certain amount of time if it doesn't shift in o/d it will throw the p0741 code tcc system stuck off. Now when I'm driving and I notice it's not in o/d I can usually play around with the speed and eventually get it to shift. I've never changed the trans fluid since I've had it for close to 100000 miles now and I'm kinda worried about changeing it because I herd that with old trans fluid it could cause more problems then it could help. The fluid now is brown on the dipstick and doesn't smell burnt and isn't gritty. Do you guys think changeing the fluid and maybe a TCC solenoid might do the trick and fix this? Thanks guys any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try the solenoid, but the torque converter may be damaged. Go ahead and drop the pan...have a good look in there for metal filings from the torque converter clutch. If you find debris in there, you should do a full tear-down, clean, inspect, & rebuild w/ updated valve body & separator plate. Replace the torque converter, and flush all coolers & lines. Install an auxilliary filter & a drain plug. P0741 was tricky for me, and my truck ended up catching fire before I figured it out, so maybe I am not the best one to give advice. Best wishes.

PS: No torque converter lock-up is sometimes mistaken for no overdrive, due to the higher engine RPMs you will have with no TCC lock-up.

I'd go with drdoom, if you don't see anything but dust in the pan try a fluid and filter change, it's can't hurt now that it's already acting up.

At first I thought it was my torque converter but what has me stumped is how it will
Work sometimes and other times it hesitates, to me that almost sounds like an electrical problem or a bad solenoid. Is there any other signs or symptoms that would prove its the torque converter going?

Yeah, I really don't know. With mine, I still do not know if an electrical problem killed it, or a hydraulic problem. And mine ran fine for a few days AFTER it caught on fire, with no codes, no flashing light, nada. Why don't you put a TCC solenoid and see what happens?

I am going through the same exact thing. I just bought the rig, so don't know the service history. Your oil description sounds like it is in the same shape as what was in mine. I replaced the TCC solenoid and it was better, but didn't fix it. Didn't find any major debris in the pan. Just some fine grey sludge on the magnet. I am in the process of installing a shift kit and new EPC solenoid to see what happens. Should know more in a couple of days.

Yeah i think I just might go ahead and replace the whole valve body I can get a good deal on one with solenoid. This might be a long shot but is there a way I could Bypass my truck from going into limp mode by like cutting a wire or something cause honestly I could live with the poor gas mileage and not going into o/d

So far so good. Got it back together and took it for a good drive. No flashing OD light yet!

So much for that. Code & light came back today.

Yes the 0741. It was fine again this morning. Very frustrating.

MLR1, is your truck going into limp mode? And at highway speed, are you not getting torque converter lock up? For instance: when the O/D OFF light is flashing, at 60mph, is your tachometer reading higher than usual, and you have very firm shifting also? I am by no means an authority on this subject, but I am suspecting worn valve body and/or worn piston hub in the torque converter itself.

No limp mode and shifting is normal. The converter is not locking up. When the converter isn't locking, the RPM is about 300 or so higher than normal for a set speed (say 55 MPH). There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it either. I am thinking, it is time for a converter. I should have thrown 1 in while I had the motor out fixing timing chains.

How many miles on that rig, MLR1?

183 K. I was told it had a used trans installed at some point. Have no idea when or how many miles were on it at the time.

Hello MLR1,
Did you have any luck finding out what it was and fix it?
Have the same problem here.

I just posted this in another thread but will repeat it here for what it's worth.
A code P0741 is no torque converter lock up, has nothing to do with overdrive. Besides the valve body and torque converter there are seals on the pump which can cause this problem, along with to much internal leakage. It can be as simple to fix as replacing the TC solenoid or being a rebuild. There is no easy answer for this problem as many things can cause it.

Thanks poprichie I got my words mixed up I ment lock up not o/d...poprichie I have a question for you how hard is to put a new transmission in I work in a hydraulic/welding repair shop so I have mechanical abilities and tools but I've never done anything like that? and about how long should it take?

For a beginner, plan on several days. This is a brief outline and I may have missed something. Remove exhaust Y pipe, loosen the pan bolts and drain the fluid. Unplug all electrical connectors, remove rear drive shaft, remove Transfer Case, if 4X4, support the trans, removed cross member, remove starter, remove 4 torque converter nuts thru the starter hole. Only turn the engine in the direction of normal rotation. Lower the trans some and remove the bell housing bolts. While supporting the trans and engine, pull the trans rearward enough to clear the engine flywheel, lower the trans.
Long 1/2" extensions, a 1/2" swivel or wobble extensions, metric sockets, are needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back