5r55e problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e problem.

Chrissvt1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
Okay so I've read almost every thread that is close to mine and haven't solved my issue

Basically no overdrive and no reverse
Truck drives fine in low 1,2
It will also drive fine in D with overdrive off but I have to get the truck up to 25km and shift from low 2nd to D, if I stop or slow down below 25km I have to shift back to low gear.
I can get reverse to move the truck but it struggles big time. It's kind of hit or miss every time I shift to reverse. Shifting from low to R seems to work best not sure why but that's how she goes,

I parked the truck for a few weeks and the battery died. I charged the battery and decided to take it out for a drive. I just drove it as I usually do not even attempting to use overdrive, I noticed reverse was working a lot better so on my way back I tried overdrive and what do you know it worked like new, truck was driving great again in all gears, I knew there was still a problem so I took it to local transmission shop to have them have a look, truck came back with no issues besides the pan has a leak and that it may have been low on fluid. ( fluid level was fine) I drove the truck for about another week and the problem came back, I tried disconnecting the battery again to see if it would help but it didn't seem to anything, a day later it started to drive fine again for most of the day. The problem seems like its here to stay now, I still drive the truck on occasion I just have to shift it and be carful I dont have to reverse to much.

I pulled two codes from the truck,

#1- p0705. Transmission range sensor
#2- p0720. Output shaft speed sensor

I replaced the output shaft speed sensor and replaced the trans filter and gasket in hopes that it would help. Everything looked fine when I removed trans pan.

I have read that this could be overdrive sprag but the fact that it started to drive fine all of a sudden for 2 weeks dosent make much sense to me. Also when I shift to drive you can feel the truck try and move, I know the range sensor can cause a lot of weird problems but I dont want to keep throwing parts at it

Fluid level is good and I checked all the fuses I also looked to try and fine damaged wires but couldn't see anything.

2002 Ford ranger xlt 4.0L sohc 5r55e 4x4

You have a mechanical failure. The OWC/ Sprag could occasionally grab and work as the pieces will jam together and hold. You will have one gear forward and rev. Even with the transmission unplugged electricaly. You are not doing the rest of the trans a favor by continually driving it as it will produce debris and ruin otherwise reusable parts. Good luck.

I agree, I believe the input sprag is the culprit.

Back