Help Please - No Reverse or Drive But 1&2 Work | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Please - No Reverse or Drive But 1&2 Work

so i just bought a 2001 a couple months ago, the guy I bought it from warned me, to not be hot rodding it. Anyway, I had to get on the interstate and needed to give it gas, it's like it just broke free going from third to fourth (I think), i let of the gas and it was fine.it's done this a few time where it lets go of the gear and just revs up, when I let of gas, it engages. Today, not the case, it let go of the gear, and never engaged back in. i can shift to 1st or 2nd and they work, but I havent got it fast enough since to see if i can do the drive with OD off yet. by the way, My OD light hasn't worked at all since I've had it, but button does work. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trans

Maybe pull the pan down and check the valve body gasket. If no problem there it may be deeper in the trans. If you have access to trans pressure gauges you may be able to do some diagnosing before taking it apart.
Maybe someone else will chime in.

Hey Guys I have a 99 Ranger XLT 3.0 Flex Fuel

It's always shifted hard from 1-2 gear. Well today the transmission started acting up. Drive and reverse engage but the truck moves slow. 1 and 2 manual gears work. I put it in Overdrive then drive worked ,but reverse didn't. Tried Drive again while in overdrive and it didn't work. I've seen a lot of posts about the valve body gasket. Going to drop the pan tomorrow and look. Does anybody have an up to date thread with this procedure? Also what transmission do I have a 4r or 5r

trans

Raj1992,
You should start a new thread so others will see it.
Did you pull the pan down yet?

There is a sticker usually on the body where the door closes, it has codes for trans type and other things. If you can find it post your trans code, then we may be able to tell you which trans it is.

I am having the same issue in my 2004 Ford Explorer. I just paid it off. I dont want a car note. Help

This is more likely the overdrive sprag.

The sprag must hold for all engagements both forward and reverse, the reason why the transmission engages in manual low and manual second is the coast clutch is applied. When the coast clutch is applied it holds the same part that the overdrive sprag drives (overdrive planet). The overdrive sprag is not needed for overdrive because the overdrive band hold the drum and the sprag overrides.
So my 01 5r55e was driving and boom revers goes and drive goes same time ( replaced the valve body gaskets some one was in this trans and did a pore cleanup found flakes of old gasket) means i need a new sprag or "over drive clutch" replaced? and on my 97 with same trans only does this on hot humid or rainy days (97 hates the rain) when shifting its slow to go in to revers and whne say you back out of a spot it is ether slow to engage drive ,starts to engage then slips, or just plain slips till you put it in 1 then back to drive and is fine till you back up again ?
and other than a kit like this what else might i need im on a shoe string budget from a work place accent

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4R44E-...Kit-1997-Up-/200577926076?hash=item2eb36043bc

We have run into a strange problem with our Explorer. It is a 1999 4.0L with auto 4x4. While driving it just slipped out of gear, and the overdrive light was flashing. Its quickly fixed itself, but did it again shortly after. After doing this a few times, it did not recover. The truck was driven home in 2nd gear.

Now when you put it in reverse or drive it seems like it is not fully engaged. It will rev and move very slowly. This happens whether overdrive is on or off. It drives perfectly when put in 1st or 2nd. You can also drive the truck in 2nd til up to speed, pop it into drive with the overdrive OFF and it will drive just fine until you slow down to first gear again, at that point you have to start over. When switched into drive with overdrive on, it will just rev out.

:( Has anyone faced this problem before?

UPDATE:

Suddenly the truck is working normal again. Drive and reverse are there. I am assuming it has something to do with the act of shifting to and from P&R

-----
new to this thread.. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L Extended Cab. It was leaking coolant from the radiator and water pump.. I had the truck for years and decided to buy a car.. so I bought a 2016 Ford Fusion.. I didn't get rid of my ranger.. it sat there for months till I swapped out the radiator and water pump for new ones. I was test driving it around. one day it stopped working in Reverse and Drive. But 1 and 2 work, just like all of you are mentioning. I drove it to my dads house on 2nd and have it parked in his garage. I want to fix it, but I'm worried how expensive it will be. Any ideas.. what I should be looking out for before considering a whole new tranny?

We have run into a strange problem with our Explorer. It is a 1999 4.0L with auto 4x4. While driving it just slipped out of gear, and the overdrive light was flashing. Its quickly fixed itself, but did it again shortly after. After doing this a few times, it did not recover. The truck was driven home in 2nd gear.

Now when you put it in reverse or drive it seems like it is not fully engaged. It will rev and move very slowly. This happens whether overdrive is on or off. It drives perfectly when put in 1st or 2nd. You can also drive the truck in 2nd til up to speed, pop it into drive with the overdrive OFF and it will drive just fine until you slow down to first gear again, at that point you have to start over. When switched into drive with overdrive on, it will just rev out.

UPDATE:

Suddenly the truck is working normal again. Drive and reverse are there. I am assuming it has something to do with the act of shifting to and from P&R

-----
new to this thread.. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L Extended Cab. It was leaking coolant from the radiator and water pump.. I had the truck since 2004 and decided to upgrade buy a car.. so I bought a 2016 Ford Fusion.. I didn't get rid of my ranger.. it sat there for months till I swapped out the radiator and water pump for new ones. I was test driving it around locally and one day took it a few towns over and back home. later that night i was going to move it across the street for street sweeping it stopped working in Reverse and Drive. But 1 and 2 work, just like all of you are mentioning. I drove it to my dads house on 2nd and have it parked in his garage. I want to fix it, but I'm worried how expensive it will be. Any ideas?.. what I should be looking out for before considering a whole new tranny? Side note, when I place on drive or reverse, I can hear and feel gears grinding..

UPDATE:

Mine is doing the same exact thing and I don’t know what to do to fix it. Like what would it be?

“Mine is doing the same exact thing and I don’t know what to do to fix it. Like what would it be?”

This is a older post so may not get the results of repair. If your transmission is behaving as the one described, more than likely a failed OD sprag/one way clutch. Transmission would have to come out to be repaired. Very common failure on this unit.
Brad

“Mine is doing the same exact thing and I don’t know what to do to fix it. Like what would it be?”

This is a older post so may not get the results of repair. If your transmission is behaving as the one described, more than likely a failed OD sprag/one way clutch. Transmission would have to come out to be repaired. Very common failure on this unit.
Brad
My 2002 4.6 explorer did this once trans was just rebuilt 6 months ago. It did that then it randomly started working again and then it got random misfires those went away then the transmission did this again could it be a pcm?

UPDATE:

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! HOW DID YOU FIX IT???

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! HOW DID YOU FIX IT???

UPDATE:

Back