5R55E torque converter measurement to be sure it's seated | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E torque converter measurement to be sure it's seated

treefort13

Reaction score
City, State
Anywhere
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
New here posting-wise, but I've done extensive reading on the subject on various threads in this forum. Hope this is the correct spot for this question. If not, sorry mods.

So, here's the deal. I'm trying to put a new long-block into a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT V6 SOHC and am being stymied by a few issues. First, I cannot, for the life of me, get the engine to mate with the bell-housing. I've already pulled the bell-housing and reseated the intake shaft, so that's not an issue. I'm wondering if I don't have the torque converter fully seated (it sure seems like it is) or what the deal is.

I measured from the front of the torque converter (the converter itself, not the studs) to the front edge of the bell-housing and got just over 2". It seems like this should be enough space, but things still don't want to line up. I don't suppose anyone has this measurement off hand?

Also, I noticed a slight counterclockwise cant to the bell-housing. I assume this is normal, but am not sure. Any thoughts here?

Sorry I don't remember the drill bit size, maybe just a little larger than 3/8, but this can give you an idea.

I would think if you are not all the way in due to the pump gears or the splines on the shafts the converter would hit the straight edge that is on the bellhousing.

Make sure the crank pilot is correct (test fit the converter only) and that there is no pilot bearing installed for a manual tranny.

2012-11-05_12-46-59_703.jpg

It's 7/16 of an inch

Back