5R55E transmission (1999) does not shift into 3rd gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E transmission (1999) does not shift into 3rd gear.

jozog

Reaction score
City, State
Mission Viejo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I have '99 Explorer XLT 4x4 with 124K miles. Just recently, my transmission - 5R55E developed problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd. When is the time to shift to 3rd (at ~2,800 RPM) the rev is going rapidly up an there is no shift to 3rd. I have to lower RPM to about 2000 and at that time transmission shifts. After that transmission has no problems to shift to 4th and 5th. After few red lights and starts and go, the O/D light go on and blinks.
The codes stored I retrived are: P0733,P0734,P0735 (gear 3,4,5 Ratio incorrect). I read a lot about 2-3 gear flare but this is not the case.
I was told by transmission shop that one of the bands is broken and that the transmission must be rebuild. Before I spend $2K (this was thei quote)to rebuild, I would like to hear from The Forum if the diagnostics from the shop are correct and if the band replacement is difficult to perform in my own garrage.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. You could verify what the shop told you if you adjust the bands. A broken band can't be adjusted. There is no way to replace a broken band without opening the transmission (rebuild time).

After many weeks of procrastination, I removed transmission from the car and took it apart. As suspected, the intermediate band broke as well as the intermediate strut. I do not know which part broke first, but both must be replaced. The loose particls did not do any damage to the Drum ass'y but made some scalding to the outside of the Shell- input. This part is not functional on the OD, so I will just clean it and reuse.
Now, i would like to get input, where to buy replacement parts. I will need (2) band Ass'y, (1) strut, (2) Nut and Seal ass'y-Hex for band adjustment lock, Gasket - Control Valve Body to Case, Seal gasket between Convertor hsg and transm. body, filter and pan gasket, plus some another hardware parts. Please let me know your experience with procuremet of above parts. Thank you.

Back