How to: - 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
The EPC differences and 4R44E compatibility I'm not sure about. Jeremy I'd find out for sure first, given the cost and labor you are spending. I think Chris would know, and the TransGo tech people should. I wish I could tell you, there is a lot to learn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone! I have to say that this is a great thread! I am also having the 2-3 problem. I can see by reading the info from those who have done this fix its easy and strait foward. I want to use the transgo kits that you are useing but i cant seem to find it on there website. Maybe i looked right at it. It is almost 1am. Does anyone have the part numbers for their kit? Thanks for the info and sorry if its already been posted.

Mandkfink, ive seen a few transgo kits on ebay...Were the rangers equipped with 4r44e's and explorers with 4r55e's?

Roger that BB!

*Update*

Well, I've done almost all I can besides dropping the trans and rebuilding her. Here's what I've completed so far:
1)dropped/cleaned the pan. It had the usual sediment on the bottom.
2)dropped the VB and inspected and ohmed the solenoids. All checked within specs.
3)Removed and replaced the Intermediate and OD servos. Also changed the cap o-rings. The servos were done, especially the intermediate servo-it fell apart in my hand. They were hardened like plastic. This reinforced my thoughts that trans oil should be changed on regular intervals. This should prolong the life of the servo rubber and keep it from turning into plastic. They popped right in once I turned out the adjusters on the drivers side.
4)After I installed the intermediate and OD servos, I adjusted the bands.
5)I bought and installed an ebay VB that had the OEM updates.
6)Installed new o-rings and gasket for the reverse servo.

I plan to have most of it buttoned up by tonite and I'll post my results once I go for the "test drive" :eek:

The picture on page 1 of this thread shows the "Ford" valve kit which consists of a spring, valve and metal clip. I just received my Ford kit that I ordered from the dealership, it has a valve and clip, but NO SPRING. Did I get a bad kit or is this how they make it now? Thanks

JOE

Can anyone tell me which oem trans cooler line going to the radiator is the return and which is the feed on the 4r55e? I'd like to purge my torque converter of the old fluid. Thank yooouuu!

If you have a cooler in front of the radiator, those lines are the return lines, fluid coming from the radiator.

*Update*

Things are not going in my favor :roll: I performed the aformentioned things and now I have more problems. I've got a bad 2-3 shift flare and still no OD :mad: Ill post my problems in detail in my own thread...

Hello folks, new member altho I always get lots of good info here for a long time. My problem is my 97 explorer 4.0 ohv 5r55e felt like it jumped in neutral and wouldnt engage again until I shut off the engine and put it back in gear.And then it would shift really early out of first and feels like its shifting through all the gears but at 40mph the rpms would be at 4 grand??? odd stuff. After reading these posts for the last few days I found something that im hoping is my fix, I just need a little feedback. I removed the vale body and found it already had the ford mod done, but today I found something interesting which is the plug for the forward engagement was loose so after looking to see the problem I found it has no spring, could this be my problem? please help me.

Neallea1, can u post a pic of what you're seeing? Did you run the ECU for codes? Have you tried a band adjustment? How did the fluid look? Any flakes or chunks of metal in the pan?

Fluid looked good, I replaced the front torque converter seal 10,000 miles or so ago. No metal . My scanner didnt pick up any codes, im waiting on a friend to see if his new scanner can pick one up. ( the o/d light is flashing after it gets to about 30) I wonder how it even worked without that spring in it, or if it just got bent up and chewed out. Ive adjusted the bands , dont know if that'll work yet, im waiting on my new gaskets and I guess new springs.

If the OD light is flashing, you definintely got stored codes in the ECU. You can go to Autozone and get your codes scanned for free. How did the valve body gaskets look?

Valve body gaskets looked good. I tested all the solenoids and they are all within spec. The only thing out of the ordinary I see is that missing valve spring. If the scanner I have on its way doesnt read the codes once I get it back together ill take it to the zone( if its still not working)

I think I found my problem from another thread, possible broken fork in the transfer case putting the case in 4low, thats why even tho it shifts it still has high rpms. Ill tear it apart today.

Thanks for the help II. Found my problem it was a broken shift fork in the TC, still wondering why that forward engagement valve spring was missing tho, ill replace it.

I write here because of my location may help.
My completely rebuild 5R55E foolproof but have 2-3 little slip in low speed(in city).EPC pressure measurement is good.
I was screw in EPC on backstop.(on approval)and I detected that less slip but
in gear-shifting was verry big impact in everyone shift (I drive this two days and not ko. her ).EPC pressure measurement is verry high.I have suspect on to undersize drill in separator plate when route in servo pistons.Trans go and Superior drilling plate too.
But I just yet dontknow where.Help me please where hole drill in separator plate trans go?I know where drill Superior.
This link to punish me because I little speak English.
I want thanks you all.

I think my posts got deleted? Should I start a new thread?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back