How to: - 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Central Valve Body

It came complete, all solenoids gaskets etc. It cost $259, as I recall. A bit more expensive than 800700 but it includes all the TSBs, etc. The Ford price is about $1200.

I'm very happy Central Valve Bodies. www.centralvalvebodies.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has probably been posted many, many times but there's an excellent youtube video showing how to r&r a 5R55E valve body: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaHIK-dwhbA

Definitely worth watching. Make me think I could have gotten away with just a new upper and lower gasket.

I took my down when my shift fork broke in my transfer case. I thought maybe a blown gasket in it. Anyhow after I pulled it out I seen it had the ford mod done already and the forward engagement spring was missing so I installed the white spring that came with the transgo kit I bought and back in it went with some new gaskets. so right after I get it back in it started having this long slipping 1st to 2nd shift. I dont know if I blew a gasket or what, but I pulled the pan off and switched the solenoids around to see if that changed anything and it didnt. Also one of the end plugs I dont recall whcih was really really loose, maybe thats it, who knows. I figure maybe replace the who thing and see what I get, I figure if I pull it off id rather know for sure then fiddle around and have to do it over and over.

I'm no expert but if what you have is the 2-3 flare, then my limited experience and research on the Internet indicates that it might be the upper VB gaskets.

If it were me, I'd probably try new gaskets. If that didn't work, I'd probably buy a new VB from CVB and replace the whole thing. I'm reasonably comfortable working on cars but I draw the line at working on the internals of a VB. That being said, this site is filled with people who have had great success working on VB internals.

One of the best moves I made was to install a drain plug on the AT pan.

This has probably been posted many, many times but there's an excellent youtube video showing how to r&r a 5R55E valve body: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaHIK-dwhbA

Definitely worth watching. Make me think I could have gotten away with just a new upper and lower gasket.

Yeah, that is a great video...does anyone know where you can purchase those gaskets he uses?

It came complete, all solenoids gaskets etc. It cost $259, as I recall. A bit more expensive than 800700 but it includes all the TSBs, etc. The Ford price is about $1200.

I'm very happy Central Valve Bodies. www.centralvalvebodies.com

Central Valve Bodies doesn't even have online ordering?? Just a 2 year old catalog without pricing.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the EPC with the valve body in place?
Thanks in advance!

69mach1...yeah you can change those without pulling off the vb

Interesting, thanks neallea1. I picked up an EPC on fleabay, advertised as new for $45. After installing it and the Superior Kit my flare seems to be gone. But I have a blinking OD OFF light I didn't have before. The transmission seems to shift fine in all gears. I don't want to pay the bucks to have the dealership read the code so I might try putting the old EPC in just to see if it helps. I have installed the Superior Kit in my Ranger a few years ago so I'm pretty confident I didn't mess anything up doing that. I suspect my "deal" on the EPC was someone passing on their problem. Thanks again for the reply. I was just in there yesterday but couldn't remember if there was enough clearance to get the EPC out while the VB was installed.

69mach1, some auto stores like autozone will read the codes for free. Good luck. I dont mind working on my cars but hate getting that tranny juice all over. Ive had my pan off so much lately my driveway is covered with tranny stains, need to just put me a drain plug in but I keep telling myself when the pan is off " I dont need a drain plug this will be the last time for a while". next time for sure...lol

I tried Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts, neither could pull transmission codes. Today I found out a friend has a code reader that can pull transmission codes and my code is P0741. I tried switching the old EPC back in and get the same blinking OD OFF light. But it seems to shift just fine. I think I'm going to order a rebuilt VB Monday and be done with it. I hope.....

I always put a drain in the pan first time I have it off. I just drill a 5/16" hole to drain it, then weld a nut on the inside, put an o-ring on a short 5/16" bolt. Never had one leak yet.

5r55e valve body

FYI!
Went to my local Ford dealership today to pick up new separater
plate as per TSB The cost is $47.00
HR

Torque Wrench types

Always use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts.

Is there any particular reason to use a 1/4 " drive rather than others ?

Cheers Dickd

Ditto. You can break any of those bolts by hand with a 1/4" ratchet if you try. The bigger ratchets are less sensitive and it's harder with those to feel the right torque. Just a wrist tight torque is about the right amount, use the torque wrench to make it right on..

That makes sense now , will go get myself one later this week Cheers

Harbor Freight had their $29.95 1/4" drive torque wrench on sale for $12.95 last week. Don't know if it still is.

Unfortunately they do not freight to Australia.. see one here for AU$69.95

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick follow up to my (delayed) project (I hate it when life gets in the way!). Pulled the VB on the extra trans I bought to exchange w/ the rebuilt VB I purchased from Central Valve Bodies. VB gasket was blown on the old one. Got the new vehicle up on the rack and pulled the pan, pulled the VB and it had the new bonded gasket, so am assuming there has been some work done on this trans since the bonded gasket isn't original equipment on '98 5R55Es? Pulled the Reverse Servo cover and pushed up on the servo itself. After squirting out all the fluid, it just bottomed out. Went and tested the spare transmission's reverse band and it had plenty of return spring to it. Soooo, as CDW6212R pointed out, my reverse band is shot. Pulled the trans, ordered a full rebuild kit (steels, frictions, rubber, gaskets, filter, 3 bands, bushings) and of course, got the wrong application, so am currently returning it, waiting on the proper application. That, along w/ several 5R55E transmission specialty tools from 'blackhatauctions' on eBay and the LubeGuard Seal-E-Zee kit, am hoping to have a gutted and rebuilt trans in the next two weeks.
Again, excellent/invaluable advice from several 'rock stars' on this list. My thanks to those who are willing to share their valuable time and expertise to others.
More to follow as the (delayed) project progresses!

Back