• Register Today It's free!

5R55E. Where should I start?

dickd

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine Coast Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
This box is indicating all the symptoms of the 1-2 (thought it was 2-3but it is from start) Flare , originally the issue also was what we thought was a overheating issue with the 55R but since I have raised the vehicle we have found transmission fluid everywhere under the vehicle including the exhaust , which explains the occasional smoke whiffs and the burning smell when the vehicle came to a stop, but not enough to leave oil drops on the ground tho.
Vehicle 98 Explorer Limited edition 4.2 4x4

History: issues started with O/D light flashing, found low fluid. Then burnt oil smell and what we thought was over heating

So my issues are
Blinking overdrive light
Oil leak but cannot see from where it starts but there is a lot of oil everywhere
The 2-3 Flare
Losing oil
The oil smells burnt and is black
On two three occasions No Gears Forward or reverse
A whistle from the Transmission Pump (service tech said this)
Service tech says Total rebuild or used Box
Oil used is Castrol Transmax Z as recommended by Castrol and transmission Shops.
Am I looking for what I should be looking for in my case as I am at the stage of taking things apart.

UPDATE:
Just removed the pan and good news no bits and pieces that the trans guy said would be in there, in fact very minor filings.
Very grey sludge but no more than a lining in the bottom of the pan, i thinking VB kit (hoping)

I also am wondering how the trans shops replaced my filter every year with the exhaust placed as it is....I know they never removed it the exhaust as they would have charged for new clamps etc, that looks like that will be fun to remove !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here...

I have the EXACT same symptoms. Be careful, because my Explorer caught fire from the ATF leak. I had it scanned with the latest Snap-On SOLUS PRO scanner, returning code P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System stuck OFF. I will be dropping the valve body in a day or so. I'll let you know what I find.

Did not get it read this time, last time i had a issue (Transfer case) they 'FORD' said there was no codes and charged me $240 for the pleasure and the second guy said the same for $90.00 but i know his reader did not read transmission codes

By the way transfer case was swapped out 12-18mths ago

I am just about to drop the VB will advise shortly if all goes well

I have the VB in front of me and gasket edges are fine, but there is a small rip about 15-20cm by 5cm about 50cm in from the side.
Is this enough to generate the VB flare issue ?

NB Ex has done 282000klm 176000miles

solenoid test
EPC 4.7
2/. 26
3/. 26
TCC 10.3

I have just re read the VB Rebuild Diary and i think i have a information overload

I am thinking and i correct that what i should get is:

The Ford TSB KIT (3L5Z-7M203-JA Valve Body Service Kit)
New EPC Soleniod
Low/reverse D Ring

Modulator (Possible Oil Leak)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 678

You don't have a modulator. A damaged gasket will cause problems. Use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts. Use the Viton D ring kit, bonded separator plate (gasket is already attached), or regular gaskets with a regular separator plate.

Thanks BB
No wonder i could not find the modulator, which brings up another issue where was my trans oil leaking, there is no obvious leak area just lots of trans oil over the exhaust areas under the pan ??

when you say Viton D ring kit what am i looking for, a kit with many O Rings or a specific kit.

So go ahead with TSB Kit and due to mileage the EPC ?

Cheers

Did not get it read this time, last time i had a issue (Transfer case) they 'FORD' said there was no codes and charged me $240 for the pleasure and the second guy said the same for $90.00 but i know his reader did not read transmission codes

By the way transfer case was swapped out 12-18mths ago

I am just about to drop the VB will advise shortly if all goes well

I have the VB in front of me and gasket edges are fine, but there is a small rip about 15-20cm by 5cm about 50cm in from the side.
Is this enough to generate the VB flare issue ?

NB Ex has done 282000klm 176000miles

solenoid test
EPC 4.7
2/. 26
3/. 26
TCC 10.3

I have just re read the VB Rebuild Diary and i think i have a information overload

I am thinking and i correct that what i should get is:

The Ford TSB KIT (3L5Z-7M203-JA Valve Body Service Kit)
New EPC Soleniod
Low/reverse D Ring

Modulator (Possible Oil Leak)

Cheers

That is EXACTLY what my upper valve body gasket looked like. I was having intermittent 1-2 shift flares when accelerating very slow and a P0741 code for the TCC stuck on. I replaced the VB gaskets an the TCC solenoid.

Drove fine for a few days but now the o/d light is flashing again. Ill have it scanned tomorrow to see if its the same code.

Not sure what to say about your leak. Maybe its coming from the pump seal, thats my next venture if I have the same code.

I wish you luck, and PLEASE advise if you find something out.

I have made a list of items that i need and I am waiting on a reply from "wittrans" on what is in a nd what is Kit "Part No:D56741NK Throttle Kit, 4R44E/4R55E 5R55E(Use With The Correct Valve Body Plate #56747 & Gaskets #56320 & 56321)"

Does any one know what this kit is as they have not replied to any of my emails so far which is another concern has any one dealt with this company successfully.

I have also listed to buy the Transgo kit from them T56165H Shift Kit

Edit On reflection i am now looking towards getting a CentralValvebody rebuild as it is not much more $$ and the guy has replied to two of my emails pronto and there is good feedback on CVB

Back