• Register Today It's free!

5r55w question

pfarmer23

Reaction score
City, State
sullivan,indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer
i just bought my wife a 2002 v8 mountaineer. the problem is the 2nd to 3rd shift. it revs high and when i let off the gas it finally shifts but its a very hard shift. the od light flashes as well. when i bought it the previous owner had already purchased a new solonoid. i installed it and refilled with fluid which is a pita without a dipstick. transmission still did the same thing. my question is would the servo fix be worth trying or is the transmission in need of a full rebuild? another question is atleast one of the catalytic convertors is clogged. it was glowing bright red when i got her home. is the best thing to do is buy the wye pipe with 3 new converters?

My 03 had the same symptom and it needed a full rebuild ($2300). What has happened is you have lost second or third gear.

thats what i was afraid of. I'll probably buy a rebuilt one and put it in then try rebuilding this one as a backup.

update have rebuilt transmission but ran into problems getting old one out. i couldn't get wiring harness off that goes to solenoid pack. the wires basically pulled out at connector. whats the best way to replace this? just wire in pigtail or can i get a used harness from donor vehicle that goes to speed sensors, solenoid pack, and o2 sensors. what all vehicles would work?

Back