• Register Today It's free!

5th gen rims on 4th gen

mounted

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer 4.6L 4wd
Anyone know if the rims from a 2011-2012 explorer will fit my 2006? The bolt pattern and offsets are similar but not sure about the hub bore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked into this once and the hubs are much smaller on the 5th than they are on the 4th Gen.

I´ve seen a 4th gen with a 5th gen rims. Don´t know if it had a spacer, was machined or what but it´possible.

if the 5th gen hubs are smaller then you could put 4th gen on a 5th but you would be doing a lug centric wheel.... but you couldn't do 5th to 4th because the wheel would never fit over the hub.... but either way the edge, flex and 5th gen explorer is basically a front wheel drive style offset like the taurus so you shouldn't swap them onto a 4th gen explorer even if they fit

The original post is pretty old, but maybe this will help others.

Hub bore on 5th gen Explorers is something like 63mm. 4th gen hub bore is between 70.3 and 70.6mm (I've heard both figures, but 70.5 is what automotive books say). So, if you want to fit 5th gen rims on a 4th gen, you need to run at least 1/2" spacers and effectively go lugcentric, or bore out centers to 70.5mm.

I own a 2007 Explorer, and recently purchased a set of 2011 Explorer Limited 20x8.5" rims on craigslist. They were $450, cheaper than buying used 17" stock. I decided to bore out the centers to get them to fit. Took them to a shop, recommended by a friend. Cost me $20 per wheel, and they did an excellent job. Bored out to 70.5 and a few thousandths mm extra for good fit.

Mounted Cooper Discoverer CTS 245/50R20 tires, and it rides like a dream!

Not sure how to post pictures on here, but when i find out how, I will.

Hub bore on 5th gen Explorers is something like 63mm. 4th gen hub bore is between 70.3 and 70.6mm (I've heard both figures, but 70.5 is what automotive books say). So, if you want to fit 5th gen rims on a 4th gen, you need to run at least 1/2" spacers and effectively go lugcentric, or bore out centers to 70.5mm.

I own a 2007 Explorer, and recently purchased a set of 2011 Explorer Limited 20x8.5" rims on craigslist. They were $450, cheaper than buying used 17" stock. I decided to bore out the centers to get them to fit. Took them to a shop, recommended by a friend. Cost me $20 per wheel, and they did an excellent job. Bored out to 70.5 and a few thousandths mm extra for good fit.

Not sure how to post pictures on here, but when i find out how, I will.

Please do!

What about mustang rims? What is the hub bore on those?

As for the Mustang rims, I believe they are the same bore as Explorers. I've seen an explorer on these forums with mustang rims. I will do some quick research and find out for sure. What year mustang?

Pictures of 5th gen Limited wheels on my 4th gen.

Previous owner had them powder coated black.
20150609_162740_zpszr9fkpl4.jpg
20150609_162830_zpsnqw4cekb.jpg

Mustang hub bore is 70.5mm, the same as all X's up to 2010. Wheels should fit perfectly, just make sure you have correct backspacing. Minimum 16" rims on 4th gens.

Pictures of 5th gen Limited wheels on my 4th gen.

Those are some great looking rims, well worth the money. I'm thinking of painting my wheels black, seen a couple on the 4th gen page that don't look bad with the spray. I went with a larger tire than stock and like the look alot better now, and I can keep my tire cost down some.

Previous owner had them powder coated black.

20150609_162740_zpszr9fkpl4.jpg

20150609_162830_zpsnqw4cekb.jpg

Lifehacker,

You're truck looks great. I'd like to do almost the same thing. I just bought a low mileage 2007 Explorer Sport Trac LTD and found some wheels on Craigslist from a 2012 Ford Edge. They appear to have the same 70.5mm bore, and include the TPMS sensors. I have the 18s on now, but the Edge wheels are 20x8.

At 20x8 rather than 20x8.5, would I still need the spacers? Did the TPMS sensors from the later model work for your 2007? What kind of shop bored out the centers? A machine shop? A tire / wheel shop? And finally, what tire size did you go with?

Thanks!
-ChilliConCarnage

Thanks, I will!

As for the Mustang rims, I believe they are the same bore as Explorers. I've seen an explorer on these forums with mustang rims. I will do some quick research and find out for sure. What year mustang?

They fit. With some possible exceptions I suppose - I know that other than offset/backspacing differences with one another that SN95/NewEdge and S197 platform Mustang wheels are interchangeable between those cars. Not sure how the S550 platform wheels factor in.

That said, I have the stock 17x8 Bullitt wheels from my '01 Mustang with 265/70 Terra Grapplers on my '08 Exploder. They look *****in and help to get rid of the Soccer Mom vibe, although a couple of my "truck" friends insist they aren't truck wheels. Pretty sure that S197 (2005+) wheels would go on without issue as well.

I went to look at the wheels and they were pretty beat up. Not only that, but they are actually aluminum wheels with a plastic chrome plated cover on them - kinda cheesy!

So I took a pass. So I'm still on the hunt for some nice 20s!

What is the deal with the TPMS?? If you go with 2011 wheels, can the TPMS sensors in the stock wheels be transferred over? Do the 2011 wheel sensors, assuming they come with them, work with the 2006-2010 system??

Thanks....Im really thinking about hunting down some newer wheels. These chrome clad pieces are horrible IMO.

Justin

What is the deal with the TPMS?? If you go with 2011 wheels, can the TPMS sensors in the stock wheels be transferred over? Do the 2011 wheel sensors, assuming they come with them, work with the 2006-2010 system??

Thanks....Im really thinking about hunting down some newer wheels. These chrome clad pieces are horrible IMO.

Justin

Justin,

You can have your existing TPMS installed on different wheels, just have them transferred from your old wheels to the new ones when you get tires mounted.

TPMS sensors work on certain frequencies based on makes and models. I don't know if 5th gens work on the same frequency, but it's an easy thing to find out on these forums or Google.

I just went ahead and got a new set with my new wheels. TPMS sensors have batteries with about a 10 year life, so odds are a 2011 will need new ones in a few years anyway. Plus, I kept my stock wheels in case I want a set of snow tires.

Thanks! I wish I could just disable the TPMS all together honestly. A light that comes on is useless to me. If it showed individual tire pressures, that'd be nice... But I check my pressures regularly anyway. Its so intrusive when it comes on lighting up the message center and the warning light each time you start the car haha.

But thanks for the heads up. I will check out the options once I decide on what to get.

Justin

I run Flex 18" wheels in my 07 Ex. Snagged all 4 for pretty cheap and tossed on 255-60-18 Hankooks. I think they look pretty good. Not as good as those 20" above though. I ahve been trying to track down a set of 20s but everyone around here wants an arm a leg and your first born for used wheels.

Back