• Register Today It's free!

5th Generation Antenna

orthoguy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Has anyone attempted a 5th generation antenna conversion on their 3rd/4th generation EX?

I hate the looks of the fender mounted antenna (3rd gen) and I really don't like the stubby alternative either. I like the antenna on my Fusion (roof mount) and also the 5th generation roof mounted antenna.

I can order all the parts from Ford to do the conversion, just wondering if anyone else has attempted this. The diagram for the electrical connection on the Ford sight are rather vague, so I am wondering if I would run into any problems with connecting to the radio if I did the conversion?

Pic below of the antenna in question:

ant.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone attempted a 5th generation antenna conversion on their 3rd/4th generation EX?

I hate the looks of the fender mounted antenna (3rd gen) and I really don't like the stubby alternative either. I like the antenna on my Fusion (roof mount) and also the 5th generation roof mounted antenna.

I can order all the parts from Ford to do the conversion, just wondering if anyone else has attempted this. The diagram for the electrical connection on the Ford sight are rather vague, so I am wondering if I would run into any problems with connecting to the radio if I did the conversion?

Pic below of the antenna in question:

It shouldn't be too difficult. Just a bit of a hassle to run the antenna wire. Then of course getting the hole in the fender filled. I personally don't like the idea of the antenna up there because it gets in the way putting things on the roof; but if you're not planning on loading up to where it'll be in the way then I say go for it. Haven't seen it done yet.

It shouldn't be too difficult. Just a bit of a hassle to run the antenna wire. Then of course getting the hole in the fender filled. I personally don't like the idea of the antenna up there because it gets in the way putting things on the roof; but if you're not planning on loading up to where it'll be in the way then I say go for it. Haven't seen it done yet.

I think I will be the guinea pig on this modification. Already ordered the parts, will figure it out once I get into it:eek:

They sell a delete cap to install over your old antenna stud. I don't care if the mount is still there, shouldn't be too much of an eye sore.

No need for an electrical diagram. Unplug the old antenna and plug in the new one. That is assuming that the connectors are the same. I have no idea about the connector on a 5th Gen. :dunno: Everything else has changed, why not the antenna? :p: Taking out the radio is a piece of cake. Here is a good link with instructions: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666

What kit did you order? Just curious.

Good luck.

No need for an electrical diagram. Unplug the old antenna and plug in the new one. That is assuming that the connectors are the same. I have no idea about the connector on a 5th Gen. :dunno: Everything else has changed, why not the antenna? :p: Taking out the radio is a piece of cake. Here is a good link with instructions: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666

What kit did you order? Just curious.

Good luck.

Yep, that's the problem, not sure if the connectors are the same. I ordered from Ford, OEM replacement pieces, no kit. Upon further research I may go with a windshield mounted antenna from Crutchfield and cancel my order with Ford. A lot cheaper and had pretty good reviews. Already ordered antenna delete stud. Will keep everyone posted.

Pic of delete stud:

$(KGrHqN,!i0E6I-DczeOBOq)TzQ7hg~~60_35.gif

Yep, that's the problem, not sure if the connectors are the same. I ordered from Ford, OEM replacement pieces, no kit. Upon further research I may go with a windshield mounted antenna from Crutchfield and cancel my order with Ford. A lot cheaper and had pretty good reviews. Already ordered antenna delete stud. Will keep everyone posted.

Pic of delete stud:

$(KGrHqN,!i0E6I-DczeOBOq)TzQ7hg~~60_35.gif

Do you have a part number for the delete stud?

Is that the kind of antenna that is stuck to the windshield? I remember those antennas sandwiched in the glass from the factory. If I recall, the reception was horrible.

I changed my antenna to a black one. I like it much better than the silver. I rarely listen to the radio. I'm usually jamming the iPod.

Do you have a part number for the delete stud?

Is that the kind of antenna that is stuck to the windshield? I remember those antennas sandwiched in the glass from the factory. If I recall, the reception was horrible.

I changed my antenna to a black one. I like it much better than the silver. I rarely listen to the radio. I'm usually jamming the iPod.

Got my stud off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300616415948?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are available on the web also.

Window antenna is amplified so it probably works better than the wire that was installed in older cars windshields.

Good to know. Thanks.

Back