6R60 Fluid Refill After Cooler Line Leak - Info Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6R60 Fluid Refill After Cooler Line Leak - Info Needed

BigBlockWagon

Reaction score
City, State
South Hadley, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Callsign
KD1KU
Hi to all,
First post on here but I've been searching & learning about my Trac but I do need some help on the correct fluid and fill procedure once I fix the leaky line (o-ring?). I have read that there is a fill plug and mini dip stick on the passenger side of the trans and the fluid must be pumped in but I want to be sure this is correct? In all my years of wrenching, I have never encountered a sealed trans until now.

Also, should the lines going into the radiator cooler be able to move relatively freely before unclipping with the special line tool? And which line tool is best? I don't like the thought of a plastic tool when my problem is rust on the connectors and line ends on both lines but only the line to the external cooler is leaking. I have found the short line from the rad to the external cooler. But the long line I have not yet found, I'm praying it is not a dealer only item!

Does anyone know of an alternate repair possibility such as with compression fitting? I have to replace the radiator anyway because the upper tank is cracked and from what I have read here this is no surprise! I really love my V8 Trac and after a year+ this is the first issue other than front brakes.

I'm open to any suggestions or help anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance,

Back