7 blade plug | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

7 blade plug

Hi folks,I have a 99 x sport and I need to tow a small travel trailer. I have a few questions about wiring a 7 blade rv type plug. I have read a few places that my ex will need a convertor because it has amber turn signals,my question regarding this is what if the trailer also has amber turn lights? Second,I do not believe it has a tow package, if it does should it have obvious appropriate plugs near the bumper or rear tail light? Is my only option to purchase a wiring kit specific to my ex? Thanks in advance,,any and all tips would be very much appreciated.

You get it all buttoned up? Were the issues on the vehicle side or the trailer side?

Sorry to respond so late,but was in the sticks for two weeks. I did manage to get signals and brake lights and brakes to work but they are very dim,i spliced directly into the running light wire cause there was no juice flowing through the factory plug. I managed to tow it to my destination, about 3 hours down i suppose what in the US are interstates,I had a chase vehicle behind me the whole way. I towed in overdrive with speed control on most of the way,I made sure the trans was not confused and it worked out fine. I believe if I tow this again I will try the relay method Buck suggested,I hooked to my buddys new landscape trailer and the signals were very bright so the issue is with the trailer.Oh and I rewired the brakes cause there musta been 14 conections between the 2 tires.Thanks everyone for your help! Now to do something with those silly mono leafs, any Ideas?

bite the bullet for the extra fuel costs, tow in direct gear not overdrive,, so many have had trouble with these trannies we already know they are problematic,, also send me an email and i will pass you the schematic for the ontrailer box for stop tail and turmnsignals,, buck,, good luck

Back