700r4 question

boggs1227

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
i was looking on craigslist today and found a shop near me that is selling rebuilt stage one ( factory shift good up to 350hp) for right around 450.00 ! but i also noticed another person selling a 700r4 and their add went on to say that theses transmissions are set up for a electronic speedometer !?!

is this true ? maybe a good thing to point out to anyone of us doing a 700r4 swap in a first gen explorer because they are mechanical ( i think except the limited right they had a digital dash) ....

anyone know ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depends on what year 700R4, but yeah, for most of it's life the 700R4 had a elecronic sender....

The good news? There are lots and lots of places to get senders for almost every applictation you can imagine with a GM tranny...I have a 79 th350 tranny (last year they made them) with a eletronic sender for my electronic 89 dash in my 82 trans am....LOL

EDIT:
Course took me 3 years to find it, and cost about $100....but I DID find it....

hmmm, for the price of what i paid for my unit i could have bught 3 of the 700r4's from this shop !! really starting to hate my self now but i know theres more to it than just bolting it up but still the adapter plate ...got to figure the cost of that to but still ...$450 and painted nice sharp ford blue with aluminum accents ( servos and access plates ..really sharp looking ) thats a good price !

700r4.jpg

Contact Maniak. IIRC he runs a 700r4 and can answer most any question you have about it.

For a 4x4 conversion, you will put the speedo cable on the transfer case..

Also, you need small case 700r4 trans. Most you find are from a 90 degree motor, like the 4.3 v6 and 350 v8.

keep in mind, the 4.0 ohv explorer motor has a lot more torque than the 60 degree (small case) chevy motors and the explorer is heavier than the s-10 you normally find the correct 700r4 on.

Oh yea, to do the conversion (and keep your current transfer case) you have to have the transmission built with a custom output shaft from advanced adapters...

I cant say for sure if any of the 700r4 use the electronic speedos since it doesn't matter for the explorer 4x4 conversion...

~Mark

The small case is exactly that, a small case. They were on smaller V6 Chevys in the early 90's. You also need adapters to bolt up the 700r4 to the engine and torque convertor.

Small case?? I know there are two lenghts of rear "tails" on these, long and short... never heard of small/big case though.... wonder how you can tell.

I don't have the measurements with me at work, but you can measure between the top 2 bolts on the bell housing. On the 60 degree version of the 700r4 the top 2 holes are closer together..

~Mark

wow thanks mark for the the good info ..maybe if they have the sell still going on i may pick one up and have it ready in the wings but they did not say if it was for the small case design .i don't plan on selling my explorer so i'm the kind of person that will have this that and the other laying around the house ( parts wise ) for future use .i'll just keep pieceing together all that i need and then when the one thats in there now goes out i'll only be down for a week or so for the replacement .

hey mark i didnt know you had the 700!! i plan on doing this also but in two parts,so now ive got questions for you,when you do the whole 4x4 conversion does it use the same drive shaft?and if i only do just the trans and run no 4x4 for awhile what drive shaft would i use,a 4x4 or a 4x2?

I don't have the length on a A4LD, but comparing the TH700-R4 to the M5R1-OD the TH700 is a couple of inches shorter.

I can get the exact length measurements of the TH700-R4 and M5R1-OD this weekend. But I do know that the M5R1/BW1354 is about 2" longer than a TH700-R4/Atlas II combo.

The 700r4 + transfer case (with the appropriate adapters) uses the stock drive shafts.

I can't say if you can run it as 2wd as you would be using the 700r4 output shaft at that point. You get the AA output shaft with the transfer case adapter kit. Also, if you waited to put in that output shaft the trans has to be pulled apart. I was told the the output shaft is one of the 1st things installed when building the 700r4.

~Mark

The 700r4 + transfer case (with the appropriate adapters) uses the stock drive shafts.

I can't say if you can run it as 2wd as you would be using the 700r4 output shaft at that point. You get the AA output shaft with the transfer case adapter kit. Also, if you waited to put in that output shaft the trans has to be pulled apart. I was told the the output shaft is one of the 1st things installed when building the 700r4.

~Mark

oo well dang now it looks like ill just have to save up then and buy both at the same time unless someone knows for sure what shaft would be used for 2wd,as pulln it wouldnt be that hard just the extra $600 would be hard to come up with at the same time:thumbdwn:

I don't have the length on a A4LD, but comparing the TH700-R4 to the M5R1-OD the TH700 is a couple of inches shorter.

I can get the exact length measurements of the TH700-R4 and M5R1-OD this weekend. But I do know that the M5R1/BW1354 is about 2" longer than a TH700-R4/Atlas II combo.

ive seen that alot,what is the atlasII

I haven't looked at street prices for the adapters much, but PATC has the transfer case adapter for $460 and the trans/motor adapter for $400

http://www.eatmyshifts.com/

~Mark

never even thought of that.this will be a winter project,so i figured ill try and get as much info as i can.would a different case be any stronger and what would it come out of?
Posted via Mobile Device

60* on the left, 90* on the right. The internals are the same.

Attachments

• 60 vs 90 700r4.jpg
    60 vs 90 700r4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,402

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

60* on the left, 90* on the right. The internals are the same.

The sun shells are different between the 2, and as such is the only part that can not be upgraded on the 60° TH700-R4. Of the ones I have see fail it was with the sun shell.

Back