700r4 question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

700r4 question

The sun shells are different between the 2...

I just called transmissionpartsusa.com and they stated the internals are the same between the two cases. Absolutly no differences. Not sure what you are saying but these guys sell a ton of parts for these things. Just going by what I've ben told by those who build and sell.

My info comes from the late Steve at Bowtie Overdrives. I'm pretty sure its the sun shell, but it could have been the forward drum (as there is a 27 spline & a 30 spline).

My info comes from the late Steve at Bowtie Overdrives. I'm pretty sure its the sun shell, but it could have been the forward drum (as there is a 27 spline & a 30 spline).

You are right, the spline count changed at a certian year. It was changed in '84 for the V8. The following is copied from Wiki;

The original version of the transmission had a 27 spline input shaft which was a common failure point. In 1984, 700R4s designed for use behind Chevrolet small block V8s received a 30 spline input shaft which used a different torque converter than its 2.8 V6 and 2.2 L4 powerplants. Between 1984 - 1987, internal components, from the ring gear to the oil pump housing, were updated, ending with the auxiliary valve body (for 700s manufactured after October 1986).

Back