9" Disks

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I know there are a million and one differnt ways to do this, thats why im so confused. After lotas lookin over on pirate and FSB ive kinda decided to go with the chevy route, blazer 6 bolt caliper brackets and calipers from the d44 and using rotors from either a CJ-7 or a 78 ford 1/2 ton in order to keep the 5 on 5.5 pattern. These are suppost to fit with a liggle fuggering of some of the holes on the caliper brackets. The rotors arnt a perfect fit but im hoping that they will balance correctly. With this you are also in need of a .100" spacer, which can be gotten from currie, stacked washers or cutting of part of the old backing plate.

Can anyone comment on this swap or another low budget swap that works?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A&A caliper brackets
GM Calipers
d44 rotors

Grind down the wheel mounting flang abit so the rotors can slide on. Weld on the brackets, bolt on the calipers. I'm probably going to us 8.8 brackets cause i have them. I know there are people who run the shims on the lug (the rotors holes are abit larger than the lugs), and i've heard of people who haven't...i'll probably just have a few machined out no biggie.

I saw that plan too over on pirate but I wanted to stay away from grinding/machining the flange so I wouldnt offset it and cause a wobble. Ive been told 78 rotors fit right on as well as a cj-7, but the cj-5,7 rotors move the rotor back behing the axle flange almost and weld on brackets.

See second part for the 9" info

http://www.raycj.com/diskbrks.htm

Grinding the flange down abit isn't where the possible offset would be. I beleive it would be caused from the size difference between the lugs and the holes in the rotor wouldn't it? The little shims would keep that from happening. Or are you just refering to the possiblity of not grinding the flange down even all the way around? Good page, i'm gonna bookmark it since i'll be doing the convo on my 9" pretty soon as well.

I'd love to turn mine into a full floater...have a set of d70 spindle I could use too!

CodePoet said:
Grinding the flange down abit isn't where the possible offset would be. I beleive it would be caused from the size difference between the lugs and the holes in the rotor wouldn't it? The little shims would keep that from happening. Or are you just refering to the possiblity of not grinding the flange down even all the way around? Good page, i'm gonna bookmark it since i'll be doing the convo on my 9" pretty soon as well.

I'd love to turn mine into a full floater...have a set of d70 spindle I could use too!

ya but the full floater kit is like 900 bucks. :eek:

hehe yeah

sn0border88 said:
ya but the full floater kit is like 900 bucks. :eek:

dont need a kit if you have 70 spindles

whadda ya use for shafts and hubs/rotor?

Hell, if you're going 35 spline you dont need full float anyway.

I helped a buddy do the CJ7 rotors, monte carlo calipers, A&A brackets and thats probably what im going to do on mine. The mounting flange doesnt have to be perfect... the rotor seats off of the studs not the OD of the flange. You need different studs but i forgot which ones work.

Turning the flange down is easy. Take all the brakes off, and have the rear up on jackstands. Get a 7" grinder. Crank truck, shift into 1st gear and let it idle. Grind. This is the "Arkansas lathe". For the love of God please be careful if you go this route. DONT WEAR LONG SLEEVES. I probably shouldnt even post this but this is how i did it.

sn0border88 said:
whadda ya use for shafts and hubs/rotor?

you use the whole outer assembly from a d70, then have shafts made

james t said:
Turning the flange down is easy. Take all the brakes off, and have the rear up on jackstands. Get a 7" grinder. Crank truck, shift into 1st gear and let it idle. Grind. This is the "Arkansas lathe". For the love of God please be careful if you go this route. DONT WEAR LONG SLEEVES. I probably shouldnt even post this but this is how i did it.

I was planning on making a little jig using a spare 3rd member, attaching a little handle to the yoke. Making it so I can slide the shaft in, have the wife turn the handle and me hold the angle grinder on the flange. Basically your Arkansas Lathe but human powered. Is it alot of work for something easy...yes, do I need to do it...no, would it get me off of the couch for an afternoon of beer fueled fabrication...YES!!! WOOHOO

I can practice welding while i'm at it haha

thats ghetto fab there, but an idea. I guess since my uncle has a quality lathe id be stupid not to use it

sn0border88 said:
thats ghetto fab there, but an idea. I guess since my uncle has a quality lathe id be stupid not to use it

damn thats a big lathe to fit an axle shaft

damn thats a big lathe to fit an axle shaft

he has a full machine shop, im still finding all kinda cool things in there. Too bad his laser table is out of comission.

So what calipers besides the Eldorado's have an E brake. I'm going to this soon, just wanted to make sure i choose the right stuff first.

I'm glad you started this over here, PBB has some great info but good Lord everyone that posted had a different idea, i was getting lost!

I dont know of any others that have an ebrake. If your handy with some fabbing, copy IZ's t-case brake and run chevy calipers.

I'm not bad in the shop, but i don't have the time and patience now to copy that job. That was amazing work.

Back