• Register Today It's free!

91 Exp. EB. radio help

91ExEb

Reaction score
City, State
Pickering, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, im new to this board. I finally found a board dedicated to the Explorers! Awesome! Well ive finally decided to mod my 91 Eddie Bauer, and i figured out how to remove the stock radio and what not.

What im concerned about is the amplifier. My old radio was a AM/FM/Cassette, and the 2 right speakers blew. They did not FULLY blow, because i can hear the faint sound of music when the radio is on. Now i dont know if they blew, it could be the amplifier that is broken. I DO NOT have the Mach/Audiophile/JBL system because i do not have a subwoofer at the rear right stoarge compartment.

Where would i be able to find the amplifier that powers these speakers? Im not sure but i think it is located by the rear windshield washer reservoir. I am also thinking of just re-doing the whole thing (since the stock amplifier may be broken) and wiring up new 6" speakers all around(front and rear doors) and have them powered by the aftermarket deck i have. Would it be complicated to wire new speakers to the new aftermarket deck? Are there simple wire tunnels to go thru? Because I would have to follow the speaker wires to the amp, then take those wires and somehow connect them to the harness on the amp to BYPASS this amp, in order to have my new speakers powered by my aftermarket deck

Is there an easier way to this? Someone who has done an audio re-vamp in their explorer please help me out.. Thanks in advanced :)

On my 95 XLT the stock amp is located on the opisite side of the washer fluid where the stock amp would go. Attached are directions on how to install a JL audio sub. Follow the directions on takeing off the moldings and you will find the amp. You need adolbe to read the file.

http://jlaudio.com/stealthbox/pdf_files/SB_F_EXPL.pdf

Back