'91 XLT -> 5.0L, C4, Dana 20, 4" Lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 XLT -> 5.0L, C4, Dana 20, 4" Lift

So one day last year I was looking through AutoTrader and found a '91 XLT with a 'fair' body and a blown tranny for $1,000. Poof! Instant project. :redexp:

So.... since I got such a great deal on the X, I decided to see what I could do with a $7,500 budget. Here's what I've come up with. It still 'in progress' - so please don't be shy if you have any good tips or tricks. This is turning into more of a project than I originally planned. :)

5.0L Engine from wrecked '93 Mustang GT
C4 Transmission & Dana 20 Xfer case from 1970s Bronco
4" "Bear" Suspension Lift Kit

I picked up the engine from a private seller. Boy, what a mess! The car had been in a front-ender and a subsequent engine fire. Everything was scorched: Fuel rails, hoses, water pump, etc. The oil pan had a 6" long gash in it from where the front crossmember whacked it. Time for a top-down rebuild.

Took the short block to the machine shop. Had the heads milled & rebuilt, Reground & measured crank, checked deck for 'true' and honed out all the bores. Installed new freeze plugs, cam bearings, etc.

Went to Summit Racing - got a HiPo 5.0L rebuild kit (Cam, lifters, gaskets, rings, oil pump, water pump, pulleys, harmonic balancer, etc.

Called AutoWorks International and got a Painless Wiring Harness, Mass Air setup, computer (for MANUAL transmission), throttle body, etc.

Called Kaufman Products and ordered a 4 Row radiator, remote oil setup, headers, and radiator hose kit.

Sandblasted & powder-coated all fuel rails, thermostat housing, upper & lower plenums, valve covers, etc...

Phew!

Took a few months off the project in order to let my credit cards 'heal'. :)

Next, I went to the junk yard and scrounged up a C4 Transmission (w/ 302 Bellhousing) that was still bolted up to a Dana 20 Transfer Case (out of a '70s Bronco).

I bought rebuild kits for the transmission and transfer case from Summit Racing & WildHorses4x4.com.

So now, I have a 90% complete Ford 5.0L Engine, a rebuilt 4x4 C4 Transmission, and a rebuilt Dana 20 Transfer Case. Time to start figuring out how all those pieces are going to fit together...

Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, please let me know!

Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a member of the board (savagewolf) is doing something similiar. He's got a 5.0 out of a mustang gt, a c4 trans and and Atlas II t-case. He's putting it all in a 1st gen sport.

First off, welcome to the board. Sounds like a really cool project. Are doing all the work yourself, if so, great! I would love to see pics of all this.

Called AutoWorks International and got a Painless Wiring Harness, Mass Air setup, computer (for MANUAL transmission), throttle body, etc.

Wondering why you got a computer for a manual transmission when you have a C4. There is nothing electronic about the AOD that went behind 8*-93 mustangs.

Regardless, there should be a lot of people on this board who can help you out on your v8 conversion.

Companies such as L&L , advanced adapters, James Duff, etc, have products for mounting your motor, oil filter, and exhaust.

Good Luck.

Al

Originally posted by asp84
Wondering why you got a computer for a manual transmission when you have a C4. There is nothing electronic about the AOD that went behind 8*-93 mustangs.

Al

Ahh... well, the Mustang was so badly burned and mangled that I decided against using the wiring harness and computer. :)

I understand that, but did painless wiring not give you a choice between Manual and Auto computers?

Even though the A9P is a computer for an auto tranny that has no electronic transmission controls, it still has different programs and idle speeds and calibrations that make it better to use behind an c4 tranny. Generally the rule is that it's ok to use an auto (A9P) computer behind a manual and auto transmission, but not to use a manual computer (A9L) behind and auto tranny 5.0L) Just what I've heard from the mechanics........

Good Luck,
Al

I understand that, but did painless wiring not give you a choice between Manual and Auto computers?

Even though the A9P is a computer for an auto tranny that has no electronic transmission controls, it still has different programs and idle speeds and calibrations that make it better to use behind an c4 tranny. Generally the rule is that it's ok to use an auto (A9P) computer behind a manual and auto transmission, but not to use a manual computer (A9L) behind and auto tranny 5.0L) Just what I've heard from the mechanics........

Good Luck,
Al

Al - My understanding from speaking to the folks at AutoWorks was that you could run a non-computer-controlled automatic transmission (like the C-4) with the manual computer. My long term plan is to replace the C-4 with a heavy-duty 5 speed (Tremec?), and since I had to buy a new computer anyway... I figured I'd go the 'manual' route and make do with a C-4 until I can afford the 5 speed and a new transfer case. :)

BTW - Painless Performance makes EXCELLENT products (IMHO), and yes, they do offer manual & automatic versions of the 5.0L computer. :)

Also, that makes it easier to get the engine hooked up to run on my engine stand (pictures coming soon).

I wonder how much of a difference there will be using a manual vs. automatic computer with the C-4... Any ideas?

Cheers!

hehe dont listen to Namity, thats not what I'm :hammer: in to my Ex, I'm using a 94-95 5.0 HO mustang motor with all the fixings a '98 ford explorer v8 computer controled 4R70W and a atlas 2 t-case, I will say that you will have a easyer time (i think) using the C4 for fit but I think i would go nuts with no over-drive

Also the 93 mustang front accories are the longest ones out there, you might want to look around for a set off a 94-95 mustang or 92-(93 i think) cougar/t-bird 5.0

There is nothing electronic about the AOD that went behind 8*-93 mustangs.

gfennie77

I don't think your understanding my point. The 89-93 mustang computers (EEC-IV) (A9P) Never had an electronically controlled transmission behind them. The only Automatic transmission offered behind an Mustang 5.0 EEC-IV computer was the AOD. The AOD is a mechanically controlled transmission. No WIRING whatsoever. (except for the reverse lights and neutral switch......which your C-4 has.)

If you bought a manual A9L computer to avoid the wiring of the AOD, well you got it for the wrong reason, becuase there is absolutely no wirirng that went from the EEC-IV computer to the AOD. (except the normal reverse lights and neutral sense switch, which your C-4 has).

The 89-93EEC-IV A9P AUtTO computer system does not care what tranny you have behind it, ie; C-4, AOD, C-6, etc.

There is a Reason why they have an Auto computer for an Auto tranny. THe reason being is..... the auto computer compensates for the drag when you put it in drive by the use of different idle speeds. With an manual transmisssion, compensating for drag is left up to the driver.............by pressing the gas to avoid stalling the engine. The Auto computer has different settings for power curvers and emissions which are geared for auto transmissions.

Does this make sense......or have I totally lost you....?

Al

Originally posted by Savage Wolf
hehe dont listen to Namity, thats not what I'm :hammer: in to my Ex, I'm using a 94-95 5.0 HO mustang motor with all the fixings a '98 ford explorer v8 computer controled 4R70W and a atlas 2 t-case, I will say that you will have a easyer time (i think) using the C4 for fit but I think i would go nuts with no over-drive

Also the 93 mustang front accories are the longest ones out there, you might want to look around for a set off a 94-95 mustang or 92-(93 i think) cougar/t-bird 5.0

Im sorry, im just going by what the tuna told me. :D

gfennie77

The 89-93EEC-IV A9P AUtTO computer system does not care what tranny you have behind it, ie; C-4, AOD, C-6, etc.

There is a Reason why they have an Auto computer for an Auto tranny. THe reason being is..... the auto computer compensates for the drag when you put it in drive by the use of different idle speeds. With an manual transmisssion, compensating for drag is left up to the driver.............by pressing the gas to avoid stalling the engine. The Auto computer has different settings for power curvers and emissions which are geared for auto transmissions.

Al

Ahh... OK. That makes sense.

All I'm saying is that I didn't want to buy two computers (since I plan to convert to manual within 6-9 months).

Thanks!
Graham

ok....... it'll work for ya, for the time being. You can always get a computer at the scrap yard if needed.

Al

Back