• Register Today It's free!

92-94 EB Edition?

Dishwalla

Reaction score
City, State
White River Junction, Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
Don't have one yet
I'm thinking about getting a 92-94 Eddie Bauer edition Explorer, does anyone have any info as to what year to go for or any small things that I might need to know? I read in the FAQ's section that Explorers are expensive to maintain and run. It sure can't much more expensive than my 1992 Saab 9000 turbo right now. I live in Vermont and need 4wd for winters. Now I'm the last of my friends to not own a 4wd, and while they're driving buy as I'm stuck in three inches of snow.....

Of the 91-94 vintage, I would get a 93 or 94. Those are the later design years of the 1st gen design, and as such they worked the kinks out of the design. Namely, transmission is stronger beginning with 93's, 92+ are not as prone to head gasket failure as are 91's, and so on. You can get a 93 or 94 for a reasonable price, too. Of course what year you buy is, in my opin, strongly driven by the vehicle you are looking at. In other words, if you find a 92 EB that is a creampuff, super nice, at the right price, then it would be tempting!

Hi,
Last year I traded in my 89 SAAB 9000 for a 92 Explorer XLT 4DR 4WD. Im from Mass so getting 4WD was a necessity espically for all the ski trips I take every winter and for towing our boat. My Explorer has 170k on it and no major problems to report. The Eddie Bauer editions are very nice looking though. One thing that I do like from the 93-94s are the side skirts below the rocker panels. Just a good look but does reduce ground clearance. ANYWAYS, GOOD LUCK.
P.S. You will miss the power and comforts/ergonomics that the Saab offers. Im just lucky that my dad owns 2 more of them. Im going to buy a 9-5 Aero when I finish school.
Peace
Chris

Back