• Register Today It's free!

'92 Explorer XLT stalling

djsteven

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '92 XLT
This is my first post and I was hoping someone can offer some insight. When I first start it up, it runs ok until I come to a stop. It will idle and I have to try and crank it a few times. Sometimes it will start up and sometimes it won't. When it does start up, it will idle when I put it in Drive. So I keep having to start it over and over again until I can get moving. Once I drive a long distance without stopping (maybe 2 minutes or so) and the engine warms up, it is fine when I stop. It seems to just start now that the weather has turned cold. Sometimes I can keep my foot on the accelerator and the brake to keep it from idling. Any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.

When was your last tune up, what did you replace, and check for codes...

The last time anything was done, was the oil was changed. That was about 2 or 3 months ago.

Oh yeah, I did have to replace one of clamps that hold the wire down on the battery. That was about a month ago.

Clean the MAF and IAC, and if you have never done a tune up, it would probably appreciate plugs, wires and filters (air, fuel).

Check for codes.

Do searches on the MAF and IAC, lots to read...

Good luck.

Thanks Wood. I'll get started.

Back