• Register Today It's free!

'93 4.0L Radiator Fan removal

sunrse777

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT Supercab 4X4
I am going to take this off the waterpump since the plastic blades are all cracked at the hub..... What is the best way to remove it ??? From what I can see looks look the big hex nut close to the water pump has to be turned off and I hear it is reverse thread ..... Is that right? What is the best way to keep the water pump shaft from rotating while I do this ?? Thanks...
:rangerred:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the tool.

One wrench goes on the fan, the large one touches all 4 screws on the pulley. Hold the pulley in place, and turn the nut on the fan.

Your fan shroud will tell you which way to turn the nut. There were 2 different threads...in the same year. Your shroud is the only help to tell you which one you have.

Ryan

It's easier to pull if you leave the belt in place.

It applies just a little more tension on the pulley.

Ryan

i used the special wrench from autozone and to hold the pulley i used an oil filter wrench. the kind that has the bicycle chain it looks like a strap. u might be able to use channel lock pliers or adjustable wrench to get the fan off.

Thanks everyone.. got the free rental wrench set from Autozone last night.
will be using it today.... I'll let you know how I make out .... This is part of a much larger joj on this engine ... I have both heads off... Cyl #4 had a cracked exhaust valve and between Cyls # 1 and 2 was a blown head gasket ..... Hopefully it all works when I put it back together..

Currency- I just replaced my waterpump and fan today. With the right tools it's a piece of cake. I got the free rental tool from the local Autozone. That caught the 4 bolt heads on the pulley and that's how you keep it from turning while you loosen the nut that threads the fan assembly onto the waterpump shaft. You will need a large open end wrench for the nut, I used a long pair of channellock pliers. This nut should have 50 to 100 ft-lbs on it according to the Chilton manual.. It's hard to get torque wrench in there..
I just got it back on as tight as I could ..... One thing to watch.. Some of the fan assemblies thread onto the waterpump shaft with a lefthand (opposite to what is normal) thread... Mine was RIGHThand .. Look on the top of the fan shroud.. mine had the words "Righthand Fan thread" molded into the plastic ... that was nice of Ford .. .as long as someone doesn't swap things .... Thanks to spdrcr34 ( see post reply above ), I looked for that....

Couldnt you just wedge a screwdriver in between two Water pump bolt heads to brace the fan in place while you loosen the fan bolt?

Couldnt you just wedge a screwdriver in between two Water pump bolt heads to brace the fan in place while you loosen the fan bolt?

I have never done it that way. I would think it would slip all the time to where you could not get enough force on the nut, but I am not very good at that kind of stuff.

I acquired a "Ford Fan Clutch Removal Tool" a long time ago, but you can do the same job with a set of long thin wrenches. The tool is neat because it has a square hole on the handle side for attaching a torque wrench or breaker bar.

Yeah that's how Ive done it on my old cherokees. I'm gonna try it tonight to see if I can make it work. My fan is cracked to **** and I'm doing a Snow run this weekend so gotta make sure it's tip top to hit some higher rpms for the fresh pow pow...

For me when the rental tool doesn't work I use a hammer drill with a chisel blade and hit the nut at an angle. Just be careful and don't overdo it with the hammer drill. That should easily take the nut off even if the only thing holding the pulley is the belt.

Yeah that's how Ive done it on my old cherokees. I'm gonna try it tonight to see if I can make it work. My fan is cracked to **** and I'm doing a Snow run this weekend so gotta make sure it's tip top to hit some higher rpms for the fresh pow pow...

The Ford plastic fans can run for years with cracks and not fail. However, I am like you, I have changed mine 3 times in the last 15 years for peace of mind. If you have a new fan on-hand you might as well do it.

Having done that a few times, I cut a piece of plywood in a notch that was thick enough to fill the gap behind the bolts (and therefore behind the wrench) so the (censored) thing would stop slipping off. The first time on my '92 the nut was extremely tight and needed a dead blow hammer.

Yeah I just bought the two custom wrenches needed for 19 bucks from oreilly. So easy with that once the belt was removed.

Back