93 Ford A4LD 4wheel Need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ford A4LD 4wheel Need help

eprom101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I own a 93 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4 wheel drive. 9 Months ago I rebuilt the transmission, after the rebuild everything was great, shifting smooth running really good. About 2 months ago she did not want to go into drive My wife would have to rev the engine to get her to go into first gear. The truck goes it reverse fine, I told her it was most likley the vacuum modulator and I would replace it later. I really didnt get around to replacing that modulator, 3 days ago she backed down the drive way and the truck wouldnt go into drive at all. I checked it out and I could not get her to go into drive either no matter what I did. So I pushed her back into the drive way went over to WIT tranny parts and bought a rebuilt valve body with two new solenoids. I put the valve body in with both gaskets, seperator plate and torque wrench specs. I thought for sure this would fix her... O man was I wrong! The truck still would not go into drive. So I decided to pull the tranny out. After getting the tranny out I pulled the O/D gear clutch pack expecting to see burned cluthes, to my amassment the clutches were clean, like new, the bands were new and clean everything was perfect. Now Im sitting here wandering what the problem could be and need some help to figuring out what the problem is. I tested the sprag by spinning the planet and it locks up one way like it is suppose to do. Could it be the torque converter? Any answers would help thanks in advance. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eprom, did you read the A4LD rebuild diary?...theres 2...one for the valve body, the other for the actual trans itself. They're both stickied at the top of the page...

Yeah...........I dont think you read my post through. I have searched many forums and read many posts of different people having the same issue but no one ever gave a direct answer to the problem. And "YES" there is just one common problem with one common part with this series transmission. So.........I will have to step up to the plate myself and answer the question for all of these people having this issue as soon as I figure it out. Thanks

The internal clutch packs have inner & outer lip seals that are very sensitive. They could rip easily if not installed correctly. The lip is designed to face one direction only. Maybe one of these lip seals was installed incorrectly?

The transmission ran flawless for 9 months. I was suspecting the front or rear sprag. But, I will definitely check the lip seals and replace them, thank you for the reply. I will update.

Well, I did not dig deep enough, I took out the forward clutch pack today and found all frictions burned to the metal and the outer lip-seal cracked and mangled. Know wander the dang thing wont go into drive. I seem to be getting premature, friction wear on the forward clutches, I guess due to a bad outer lip-seal. I think that explains why all of the other clutch packs are still good, after examination all the other lip seals are in good condition . Thanks Brooklyn. Any suggestions?

You should install a manual valve index sleeve: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A4LD_Manual_valve_index_sleeve_p/400-005694701.htm
400-005694701-2.jpg

http://www.sonnax.com/instructions/56947-01-IN.pdf

Thanks for the reply. I will add this to the list of parts needed. Do you have any idea where I can find a good price on a thrust washer kit? This is my third tranny rebuild. 5R55E ONCE and A4LD SECOND TIME. Im still a newbie but I do have mechanical working skills and common sence. Thanks for your help.

Back