92 sport 4x4 5spd, stuck in driveway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 sport 4x4 5spd, stuck in driveway

rochestercam

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
Girl I was following behind was driving, truck was shifting smooth and all, she stopped at a stop sign, and could not get it to shift into gear, clutch pedal was to the floor as should be. I tried, and it just was like the shifter felt like it was against a steel wall, just wouldnt budge out of nuetral. I had her keep it in neutral and I pushed her 20 feet or so with my truck and she was able to shift into first and through all gears. I had to do this pushing to start her out at quite a few lights and stop signs. When we went to finally leave where we got to, it wouldnt shift into reverse, she would try to but it would just do the grinding sound/feel with the shifter. I was able to finally get it to go into gear, second, and then all gears would work. I shut if off with it in neutral, had her jump in and told her it would go in reverse, she put it in reverse with the engine on, traveled 20 feet or so came to a stop, tried to go again and truck wouldnt move. With the clutch in and out, the shifter will move like when you are shifting gears, but the truck just stays at a stand still and will not move. I should also note that she just purchased this truck, she drove it home for about a 60-70 mile trip and it drove fine, previous owner had a new clutch installed and the fluid reservoir is full. The clutch is not hard to press to the floor.

Anyone who can diagnose or help get her back on the road would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

roccam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and could not get it to shift into gear, clutch pedal was to the floor as should be. I tried, and it just was like the shifter felt like it was against a steel wall, just wouldnt budge out of nuetral. .
This part sounds like the slave cylinder is not disengaging the clutch completely. How long ago was the clutch replaced? Maybe the didn't use a quality slave cyl, and it's going out. Or maybe you just need to bleed the system. That's where I would start.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

yep bleed that slave cylinder

Honestly I am going through the same thing and just had my clutch replaced two months ago and the same exact thing is happening. the transmission shop is gonna take a look at it and I am going to have them do that first before taking it all apart. BTW I have the same exact model and year. My only problem is that In every gear it grinds not just one gear but all of them and it doesn't move anywhere.

It could be a slave/master issue, or it could be a bad pilot bearing causing the input shaft to spin even with the clutch disengaged.

Check this: With the engine, off, verify you can shift through the all 5 gears and reverse. Then, place the vehicle in gear, start the engine holding the clutch in, pull it into neutral, then try and go back into the same gear you were just in. If it'll go, we need to dig further. If it won't, then it's likely a pilot bearing siezing.

-Joe

Thanks guys, as soon as I can, was hoping today- I'll go out there and try these out, the gear shift with it off and bleeding. I'll let you know how it goes.

I had mine towed back to the shop that did my clutch install and they said that my tranny went bad after I told them what had happened. They said that my 4x4 was bad but I never used it then I talked to a mechanic that worked there and he said you're the one here for the messed up clutch install (whoops!) and I then talked to the owner and he told me a gear or sycro had went bad without even hearing my truck at the moment. Sad thing is There wasn't no loud noise commin from my tranny when the problem had occurred. That sound discussed above then occurred when I fully stopped the truck. I talked to a few more mechanics and they said my flywheel or slave is gone. I had her towed to another shop and the guy is gonna pull my tranny and let me know exactly what's wrong. I'm hoping the initial shop is at fault so they can handle the bill for repair.

Back