• Register Today It's free!

93 Limited Anti Theft Problem

kathahn

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Atkinson, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
The anti theft alarm goes off everytime I unlock the doors. All I have is a regular key. I tried to get a key fob and the Ford dealership couldn't get it to program. Does anyone know how I can either disconnect the anti theft or fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very interesting you post this.... as my best friend has a 93 limited with the same problem... i am going to try to re-program the fob and diagnose her problem today... i'll let you know what i find... but you can buy a key fob... check ebay... they go used for like 10 bucks all the time
:banghead:

7567_1_b.jpg

key fob should look like this

pull the alarm fuse till you get a remote....or just unplug your horn temporarily...

I've pulled the horn temporarily. It just gets frustrating every time you lock it to have to open the hood and disconnect the battery. I went to a dealership to get a key fob and they couldn't get it programmed...and couldn't figure out why. Maybe I should try another dealership. I've looked in manuals and cannot figure out where the wire is for just the anti-theft to disconnect it.

i was able to fix my friends anti-theft... and key fob works now... if your still in need please reply... maybe I can help:thumbsup:

If you know of a way for me to fix it or disconnect it without a key fob, I'm very interested...
I will try at another dealer to get a key fob programmed.
Anything to help me figure this out, I'm listening...

sorry for the wait...... i haven't been around... u still need some advice or help.... say the word...

My 93 Limited did that also, I bought a key fob and always opened the door with it.

To disarm the system with the key requires turning the key first to the lock position(right). Pause it there, and then unlock the door. Mine only triggered the alarm occasionally while doing that, so I chose to always use the remote.

My 98 Mountaineer is also sensitive about that key opening/disarming process. The alarm will sometimes go off when I do try the key. Regards,

you're lucky.... no... you don't have to turn the key... just opening with the key should cover it... my friends was going off a lot when it had been raining or there was water present..... the left rear windows are notorious for leaking on explorers... unfortunately... the anti-theft module is under that rear window... I pulled the panel... snugged up the nuts on the window and sealed the module with saran wrap... then re set the system by jumping the harness and reprograming the remote... (her remote was not working either) her roommate uses the truck and does not have a key fob... that alarm has not gone off once since i did thses things... except when i hit the panic on her remote.... Bottom line... Keep the water away from the module... LOL

I don't know what the problem was with programming your Key Fob, but here is the way I did mine. I programmed two Fobs at the same time, if you intend to program more than one I think you have to do them at the same time.

One thing was different when I programmed mine. My door locks locked and unlocked after turning the ignition on 5 times not 8. When the door locks do lock and unlock stop and leave the ignition on until you finish the programming.

The picture of that Fob is like mine and my X is a 95.

When you get in the vehicle:

-make sure that you have both remotes with you
-make sure all of the doors are closed
-press the power unlock button (on the car, not the remote) to make sure all of the doors are unlocked
-make sure that you don't touch the brake pedal during the procedure
-when you put the key in the ignition it will be in the off position. starting at the off position cycle it 8 times rapidly (within 10 seconds) from off to run.
-make sure that you leave the key in the "run" position on the 8th cycle.
-you will hear and see the door locks lock, then unlock
-once the door locks lock, then unlock, press any button on one of the two fobs...the locks will lock, then unlock again
-press the button on the second remote...the locks will lock, then unlock again
-take the key out of the ignition and the locks will lock, then unlock again to confirm that the programming has been a success.

It doesn't matter where the remotes are in proximity to the ignition...as long as they are in the car with you. The remotes should program immediately as you are completing each step, they don' t need time to program.

Do check Ebay for the fobs, you should be able to get new ones for about $10. That is where I got mine.

I think the 93 is the same as the 95 and it should have these numbers on the back to be the right Fob.

FCC: GQ43VT4T
Doc: 1470 K763

Hope this helps. The local dealer by the way wanted $68 each for the Fobs.

Ditto, I was given a key fob for my 93, and the one I bought from eBay for my 98 and 99 are the same.

pensa... 95 explorers are different.... but yes... the locks will cycle... if was giving detailed instructions on how to do it.... i would have been much more thorough

Pensa, 95 and up, the programming is as you stated.... but before 95.... you have to jump the anti theft module harness.. the locks cycle... etc etc... if any instructions are needed let me know...

Hopefully if nothing else those instructions will work for you. I know when I called the local Ford dealer they gave me bad instructions, it was the one I got the Fobs from that knew how to program them.

You do have to make sure you get the right Fobs, I was lucky, I had the old Fob that didn't work and it had the numbers on the back, so I knew I got the right Fobs.

Pensa, 95 and up, the programming is as you stated.... but before 95.... you have to jump the anti theft module harness.. the locks cycle... etc etc... if any instructions are needed let me know...

Sorry, didn't see your post before I posted my last post.

it's all good... didn't mean to come off agressive... after i read it i realized it sounded bad... but wasn't meant to... LOL

also read my other post a few up... it explains the reason the anti theft modules have problems

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's all good... didn't mean to come off agressive... after i read it i realized it sounded bad... but wasn't meant to... LOL

I didn't take it as aggressive or bad, I just didn't see your post about them not being the same until I had already posted. No harm, no foul.

Those with 95's and up may get some good out of what I posted since I have been there and done that.:)

Back