• Register Today It's free!

93 xlt 5spd won't go into reverse

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
like the title says, my 93 x won't go into reverse. it's a 5spd out of a 93 navajo. i picked it up from the junkyard and it went into reverse there. i brought it home and put it in my truck when converting it from an auto to a stick. when i first put in the stick, i had alignment problems with the stick going into the tranny linkage, but i found out on here that i need to have a "box" shape for the stick to sit down in. this fixed the problem to where all the gears now align and go into gear, except reverse. when i try to engauge reverse, i push over to the right and then it won't go back. i tried rolling the truck a little, putting it in other gears first but it still refuses to physically move backwards when moved all the way to the right. i don't believe that reverse this bad, but i suppose anything is a possibility. any suggestions on what to try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does this model have a reverse lock out solenoid if so could be the culprit?

i have no idea. all of the wires were hooked up correctly. i have no idea what the deal is. i think i'm going to ask around at a few local transmission shops to see what they have to say, but please don't hesitate to post suggestions!

So its not running yet with a working clutch? I am not sure you can get it into reverse without the truck running and clutch pressed in.
Somebody with a 91-94 5 speed wanna try?

i was just taking a stab i know that some manuals use a reverse lock out what about the reverse switch i know this probably just controls the back up lights but? also have you checked your clearance with your shifter or maybe it is still misaligned and yes if it were me i would ask some tranny shops they may get you some other info but more than likely they are going to tell you its internal. But you said it worked at the junkyard.
when i look at my manual its just says linkage problem such as a damaged shift mechanism,interfernce between the floor shifter and the floor cut out, or damage to the selected gear. now this applies to the unit if it will not shift into a certain gear which would apply here.??

Well I have a 5 speed in the 92 Xplorer and reverse can go in with it running or not.

You can not put it in reverse with it running but with it not running it will go into reverse???I am trying to figure out what you said about the stick alignment with the stick going into the linkage. There is no linkage just a shift tower. Did you have a shift tower off????I had a 98 Ranger that would not go into reverse after an aftermarket shop rebuilt it and I found out that the wrong pin for the reverse switch was too long and not allowing the shifter to go into reverse.
Now what is the box thing that you had to have to let the shifter sit in??? Are you talking about a manual transfercase????

sorry for the confusion. my lack of automotive vocabulary makes things difficult to explain. yes, the shift tower is the part that i was hinting to be misaligned, and the box i am talking about is a square formed by the gear selectors when in neutral. now how do i remove the tower to further see if i can pinpoint the problem? oh, and the reverse does not engauge at all, neither running nor off. when the stick is moved all the way to the right, it does not physically move back as if something is misaligned and won't allow it to move. all other gears work fine. i doubt it's something electrical.

Back