• Register Today It's free!

'93 Xploder, wont run

Orionn

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti, Mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4dr 4x4
'93 Xploder, with 194k miles on it. (4dr,4x4,5spd)
New batery, new fuel pump last year (Ford factory)
it get spark, it gets gas.
it cranks just fine, with compression.

I started it (cold engine), it ran about 10 seconds then the engine jerked and stumbled hard, then died.

it cranks fine, it wants to start. it did start and idle for a few seconds, but hit the gas pedal and it stumbled and died.

Things I did:
Swaped the EEC relay on the power distribution box(they tend to pit and die) nothing changed

Pulled the Mass Airflow sensor wire off: no change (it should have at least started and ran with that off, if that was the problem)

I suspect the CPS, or the TPS, or worse case the timing chain jumped a tooth.
Does anyone else have and idea? A solution? Or a test procedure for those two parts? I cat really afford to take it to a mechanic, but I need it. Its my only vehicle.

thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened to me, turned out to be the TPS. Runs fine now that I put a new one in.

I had the same thing several years ago, it turned out to be the Computer. Good luck.

Check the vacuum connections on the vacuum tree (drivers side valve cover by firewall).

How did you verify that, "it gets gas?" What is the fuel pressure at the rail while cranking? Just with the pumps running? Are the fuel injectors firing? Are the spark plugs wet?

As for testiing any EEC-IV components, the first thing I would do is pull codes from the computer. EEC-IV isn't perfect at catching all faults, but a faults in those sensors bad enough to prevent the engine from starting has a good chance of being detected. Note that, some of what you've done (unplugging MAF for example), will likely have left codes in memory.

Well I took it to the shop...I ran out of time. Funny thing is, it started and ran, well in fact all the way to the shop.
It did have the battery warning indicator light on. that's new.

I am having the codes scanned, we'll see what they show. I hope its the CPS or TPS now that it ran fine.

Thanks for the input.
I'll keep you posted on what it ends up being.

Well here is the update:

I need new O2 sesors.......thats it.

they could not find anything else.
I will be replacing the O2 sensors, along with the TPS, and a general Tune-up.

thanks for everyones help :D

My 1993 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer is in need of both upper and lower ball joints. I am having difficulty in removing the upper joint. Can you send any information on how to do this?
Thanks, Jerry

Jerry, I've found that the description in Haynes/Chiltons is adequate for replacing ball joints. See the free vehicle repair guides at www.autozone.com (equivalent to Chiltons) for a basic rundown.

You will need to either have the balljoints pressed in or get a hammer and a socket. Its a PITA. I think there is a tool you can barrow from Auto Zone or Pep Boys that will help.

Back