• Register Today It's free!

94 4.0L stalling

Loopster

Reaction score
City, State
Fountain Hills, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT- 95 Ranger
I am sure this has been a past topic, but try as I might, I didn't find it, so......
I have a 94 Explorer that is stalling more and more frequently. It stalls with the A/C on, with it off, in the daytime and at night. When it stalls, it's just dies, no thinking about it, it just dies. Frequently it takes several minutes to get it going, and sometimes, it will start but idles very rough and full throttle fails to bring the RPM over 500-600.

Thanks
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd suspect the fuel pump.

Have you had it tuned up or replaced any parts recently so we can narrow down what it may not be, cause there are a whole lot of things that can cause your problem.

Replaced the Mass Air Sensor. It had the problem before and after the installation. The MAS was replaced when it failed to start at all.

Rick

I've found most stalling problems to be either engine starved for fuel OR engine starved for air. Check for air first. Do you have any leaks in any vacuum hoses. You may be able to hear a hissing noise in the engine compartment. Look over EVERY vacuum hose and connection. How's your air filter. There are many threads to search on this site for checking various sensors--MAF, IAC, etc. Have you replace your fuel filter lately? You may want to perform a fuel pressure test.

Back