• Register Today It's free!

94 ex surges with IAC plugged in

Running an Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Eddie
I bought my 1994 explorer (eddie bauer, 4.0, a4ld) 1 year and 1 month ago. When I bought it the check engine light was on, but it ran perfect. I did eventually do the paper clip method on it and pulled various codes related to the EGR, but as I said earlier, it ran great so I didn't bother with it.
About 2 months after buying it, it start having a slight surge when driving, not idling. So, I did the first and easiest thing, I changed the fuel filter. That, I thought helped for about 2 weeks, then it started surging again. So, I changed the fuel filter again and seemed to help, but several months later it started surging again, so I changed the fuel filter again, but this time it didn't help. So, I did some research on here and found out it could possibly be the IAC. I bought a new IAC and installed it and it seemed to fix it but it eventually started surging again. (While all this is going on, the surging has became worse, and now does it while idling.) My first thought was that my new IAC is faulty, so I took the IAC off my other 94 ex that runs perfect and put that IAC on and it did not help. I tried also putting on the throttle position sensor from my other ex and that did not help either. So, I went back to square one and read my check engine light codes and they were still all about the EGR. So, I did ALOT of searching on here regarding my specific codes and I came to the conclusion that it could be my DPFE sensor. So, I took the DPFE sensor off my other 94 ex and it solved my check engine light, but it still surges. I've also cleaned the mass airflow sensor, but to no avail. I have also unplugged the vacuum to the EGR valve, it runs rougher with it unplugged and it still surges. Also, I have looked and sprayed for vacuum leaks and can't find anything.
The surging has really no rhyme or reason. It surges when idling and driving. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or fully warmed up. During all this time I've figured out if I leave the IAC unplugged it never surges. I would be fine with just leaving the IAC unplugged but it makes it idle pretty low on cold start and I have a frequent cold start miss (not every time, but most of the time). With the IAC unplugged and it missing on a cold start, it has stalled out before and I don't want this happening when I'm warming it up in the morning in the winter.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you cleaned the throttle body?

have you cleaned the throttle body?
Only right when I first bought it. Could the whole plenum be so gumed up that it could be causing a problem? Like everybody else, I did have a little oil in the air hose.

Only right when I first bought it. Could the whole plenum be so gumed up that it could be causing a problem? Like everybody else, I did have a little oil in the air hose.
yep mine got gummed so sometimes it would stick/not close all the way etc. not saying it will cure 100% of issues, but imo worth a shot consider all it takes is some cleaner

yep mine got gummed so sometimes it would stick/not close all the way etc. not saying it will cure 100% of issues, but imo worth a shot consider all it takes is some cleaner
Ok, I'll give her a try.

"spraying" & "smoke check" can be insufficient to determine vacuum leak.a vacuum leak can be inside the cab. it can be intermittent. A hand vacuum pump and individual vacuum circuit segment/component testing is the way to conclusively rule out vacuum leak.

Well, I just cleaned the throttle body but it didn't help. Can you rent a vacuum pump from an auto parts store? If so, where would I attach it?

well, it was worth a shot. not sure about the pump, i feel like i seen it before at the store, but not sure. havent had many vac leaks except this persistent IAC tube on mine i changed the dang thing it is alot better but occasionally especially when its 120 out it will high idle
Well, I just cleaned the throttle body but it didn't help. Can you rent a vacuum pump from an auto parts store? If so, where would I attach it?

Did you check the wiring for the IAC?

When my 1994 surged it was the DPFE sensor. I replaced it with the same version and it was still surging. I then upgraded to a later version and it took care if it. Ford made a kit with a new plastic DPFE and a new plug end.

Rock Auto has the Motorcraft DPFE update kit, but its $130.00.

Did you check the wiring for the IAC?

When my 1994 surged it was the DPFE sensor. I replaced it with the same version and it was still surging. I then upgraded to a later version and it took care if it. Ford made a kit with a new plastic DPFE and a new plug end.

Rock Auto has the Motorcraft DPFE update kit, but its $130.00.
I did not check the wiring, what would the correct voltage be? Currently I am running the dpfe sensor off of my other good running 94 ex (named Red, my problem ex is Green), it's the old metal kind. So, I actually bought a new one for Red. It's the black plastic kind from oreilly's. It's not a Motorcraft and Red currently running great with that one. I guess I could switch it and put that plastic one on and see if it makes a difference.

listed as loaner at autozone : https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...emtools-vacuum-pump-and-gauge-tester/2080_0_0

or purchase:
Amazon product ASIN B00UDIYJPG
Be gentle with the hard line as it is old and can crack easily..
Capping off segments of the vacuum tree, removing the components that aren't necessary to diagnosing engine.

Update: I put on the plastic new dpfe sensor on the ex but am still having the problem. My next move will probably get a vacuum pump and check for leaks. I won't get a chance until next week to do so. I'll update when I do that.

I've had outdoor surging issues in my '92 5 speed. A replacement coolant temp sensor has always done the trick to get it back to normal. I thought IAC too at the time, and replaced with a Motorcraft part and once I figured out the surge situation it actually idled around 750-800 again; closer to original. Something to say about cheap replacements compared to Motorcraft parts for these old Fords.

I've had outdoor surging issues in my '92 5 speed. A replacement coolant temp sensor has always done the trick to get it back to normal. I thought IAC too at the time, and replaced with a Motorcraft part and once I figured out the surge situation it actually idled around 750-800 again; closer to original. Something to say about cheap replacements compared to Motorcraft parts for these old Fords.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I'll have to look at that. I personally feel based on how the ex has been acting, I think it's something electrical like that rather than a vacuum leak.
I didn't get a chance to work on the ex last week and I won't for the next 2-3 weeks. But I'll update when I find something out.

Back