94 Ex Transmission/ Vacuum Modulator question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ex Transmission/ Vacuum Modulator question

Abba

Reaction score
City, State
South River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer
Ok, this is the deal.
I have an automatic transmission problem.

2 days ago I pulled my truck into my friend's driveway and everything was fine.
An hour later, I pulled out, started moving forward, and the tranny wouldn't shift into 2nd. Instead, the rpm's went up to 3500-4000, and I had to goose the gas a bit to get it to shift.

Fast forward, and I've been to 6 different mechanics, with no consensus, except that I have a bad tranny (duh).

The main problem isn't that there's any slippage, but rather that it shifts poorly. Normally, I've been driving this thing pretty gingerly because I really want to make it last, so it shifts to 2nd at about 15 mph. Now, to get it to shift it hits somewhere around 30, I take my foot off the gas and let the rpm's drop to 1000, then feather it and it shifts smoothly into 2nd.

Something similar happens going into 3rd. There is no problem once I hit 45 and above, and on the highway it's pretty smooth.

Aside from replacing/ rebuilding the tranny, which will cost me anywhere between $1200-$1500 based on the best estimates I've gotten, I have also heard about the Vacuum Modulator. One of the mechanic's quoted me a price of around $150 including parts and labor to change it, which I personally think is a steal.

My concern is that no matter how well the guy is recommended, him opening up the tranny to get to the part could cause all sorts of other problems.

I guess my question is, based on my limited description, is there any possibility that my problem could in fact be caused by the v/m? I really need to save $ as I've just started my divorce and funds aren't just limited, they're non-existent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you losing any transmission fluid through the vacuum line? If not, then it's probably not the modulator. From what you're describing, you might have a broken band, band out of adjustment or a bad servo. Does it deley only when it's cold? If so, then it could have a sticking governor.

Are you losing any transmission fluid through the vacuum line? If not, then it's probably not the modulator. From what you're describing, you might have a broken band, band out of adjustment or a bad servo. Does it deley only when it's cold? If so, then it could have a sticking governor.

I don't think I'm losing any fluid. The mechanic today removed one of my lines from on top of the engine and there was suction there. I think my fluid level is ok too. I also notice no difference no matter what the temperature is.

So basically, I think you're saying that the V/M is most likely NOT the culprit, correct?

Sorry, one other thing that might be worth mentioning. The car seems to shift perfectly well when I'm shifting it manually. It's smooth and quick and responsive, but when I have it in drive it shifts poorly during any kind of mild acceleration.

See if you could adjust the bands. A broken band will make the adjusting bolt feel loose (it just keeps turning, and never tightens the band).

Yeah, I have no clue what you're talking about. :p:
I am definitely willing to learn though. Might I impose on you for perhaps a link to a more explanatory page? Something that can give me a better idea on how to do that?
This forum has some incredible resources, and I've benefitted from them greatly in the past (like changing the front rotor on my old '91 Ex). Is there anything here that can give me a little more information before I'm forced to plunk down $1500 at the tranny shop?

Thanks again BB. I do really appreciate your attention. :D

Back