94 Explorer no power on drivers window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer no power on drivers window

Fernando Uribe

Reaction score
City, State
Weslaco
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
So heres a strange thing that occurred on my 94 Explorer. On the front Drivers side of the powered windows, the motor began to quit working. It wasnt abrupt, but it did sound hesitant then stopped completely. I look at my voltage gauge on the dash to see if it fluctuates...nothing.

I took out the motor and hooked it up to the passenger's side and worked like normal.

The door lock, mirror adjustment switch and the door light work fine. Even the other windows go up and down if im controlling it from the drivers side.

I replaced the switch itself...nothing.

Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This might help:

There is a module in the driver's door frame called a 'One-Touch Module', which provides an automatic window-down function. Although not obvious, if this module fails, it will stop both up and down from working. This module can fail gradually. There is a tiny relay inside and the contacts can fry after decades of use. It can also reduce the power to the window slowly over time, causing symptoms suggesting a weak or failed motor or binding in the window mechanism. You can test for this by locating the module, disconnecting it, and jumping the Red/yellow and Red wires, which will bypass the module. Here is the 4-door 1994 wiring diagram for that circuit.

window.jpg

There is a module in the driver's door frame called a 'One-Touch Module', which provides an automatic window-down function. Although not obvious, if this module fails, it will stop both up and down from working. This module can fail gradually. There is a tiny relay inside and the contacts can fry after decades of use. It can also reduce the power to the window slowly over time, causing symptoms suggesting a weak or failed motor or binding in the window mechanism. You can test for this by locating the module, disconnecting it, and jumping the Red/yellow and Red wires, which will bypass the module. Here is the 4-door 1994 wiring diagram for that circuit.

View attachment 317140
Hmm that looks like something i need to look into. Would another module from 1994 and up fix this?

You can jump the module as stated above and just leave it that way if want, you just loose the one touch down feature.

If there is no click, no bump, no nothing coming from the motor, I would suspect the module. As shown above, its an easy bypass. If there is a slight bump or click, the motor is too weak to drive the regulator. Mine has been problematic for a few years. It would lock up when all the way down. I could get it working again by lubing all of the bushings and slides in the regulator with white lithium grease spray. I recently replaced the motor when that quit working. New motor is much stronger. Didn't realize how weak the motor was until I got the new one in there. The motor is inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. I used to store the vehicle in my garage with the windows all the way down. Now I run them all the way down, then bump them up and it seems to keep them from locking up.

If the module is bad, it looks like they are a used only part, no longer produced. It also looks like they are very common in Fords of this era. I did a quick search on eBay, "Ford 1994 power window module relay" and there are a bunch listed as used from mostly Mustangs. They all look the same as the Explorer module with the same wiring. The Explorer's and Mustangs shared a bunch of stuff like this. I noticed the door chime module was the same in my 1986 Mustang as the one in my 1992 and 1994 Explorers. They got unplugged and tossed in the trash all the same too.

If there is no click, no bump, no nothing coming from the motor, I would suspect the module. As shown above, its an easy bypass. If there is a slight bump or click, the motor is too weak to drive the regulator. Mine has been problematic for a few years. It would lock up when all the way down. I could get it working again by lubing all of the bushings and slides in the regulator with white lithium grease spray. I recently replaced the motor when that quit working. New motor is much stronger. Didn't realize how weak the motor was until I got the new one in there. The motor is inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. I used to store the vehicle in my garage with the windows all the way down. Now I run them all the way down, then bump them up and it seems to keep them from locking up.

If the module is bad, it looks like they are a used only part, no longer produced. It also looks like they are very common in Fords of this era. I did a quick search on eBay, "Ford 1994 power window module relay" and there are a bunch listed as used from mostly Mustangs. They all look the same as the Explorer module with the same wiring. The Explorer's and Mustangs shared a bunch of stuff like this. I noticed the door chime module was the same in my 1986 Mustang as the one in my 1992 and 1994 Explorers. They got unplugged and tossed in the trash all the same too.
You are awesome, thanks for the help!

UPDATE:

Y'all were right on the money. It was indeed the module. The second i hooked it up, i could hear a click from it and my voltage gauge fluctuating. To play it safe, i got my hands on two of them (in case one wears out again).

Thanks everyone!

Just FYI
early 90s crown Vics and grand marquis also have the same module

Helping the OP with this issue reminded me to bypass the module on my Explorer. I really don't care about the one touch feature, and would rather send all the power to the motor. Seems if the module was getting weak, it would cause the motor to fail prematurely.

Edit: I bypassed the module. I used one of these type connectors in the picture without the plastic cover as a bridge. I cut the single end off, then filed it smooth. Plugged right into the two wide slots of the plug, which are the bypass. Taped it up with some electrical tape, then felt tape over that. Works great, and I did not have to modify the factory wiring. Total time was about 20 minutes. Window motor seems to have more power than before and its one less thing to go bad when days from a paved road. I recommend you also replace all the door panel push pins while you have the panel off if you have been in the doors more that a few times. They are all over eBay and very inexpensive.
051103_1_large.jpg

On my explorer I can take or leave the 1 touch feature as well.
nice job jumping it out and thanks for the pic

Yeah, for me, I had a very gradual reduction in window-up speed, to the point of stalling half-way in cold weather. I put in a new motor which helped a little bit because these motors get weak with age (as do all permanent magnet motors). Next winter, same thing. I took the regulator mechanism apart, cleaned and lubed, helped a little bit but nest winter, same thing. I replaced seals, other parts, same thing. I ultimately discovered a voltage drop through the module, and verified it by bypassing it. My solution was to make a jumper with a short length of 14 gauge wire bent into a U with male spade lugs on the end. It was a freebie, I had all the stuff already in my shed. I think someone industrious could take the module apart and match up a new relay from Digikey.

Anyway, glad this worked out!

Back