94 Ford Ranger - ABS Light On And Associated Issues - Insight Appreciated! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ford Ranger - ABS Light On And Associated Issues - Insight Appreciated!

redhill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger
Hello,

I hope anyone reading this is doing well!

Any insight would be sincerely appreciated as my truck has started acting up and I cannot afford an expensive repair.

The ABS light suddenly came on (hauling a somewhat heavy load when it happened) and will not go off.

At the exact time the light came on my truck started handling differently.

When going first gear there is now a hiccup where I have to accelerate more quickly or the truck acts as if it wants to stall.

It also feels as if a brake is slightly on or something as the Horsepower seems to have been diminished and the truck also seems like the engine is groaning a little.

I know the parking brake is off...

Basically it is as if I was driving with the brake pedal depressed just slightly.

Again, any thoughts appreciated as I really need to identify this problem on my own!

..What size engine?

..I take it you have the five speed? First, check your brake fluid level and if you already did since this started, check it again.

I would also jack it up and spin each wheel. This will quickly tell you where it's dragging..;)

..I am thinking you will find an issue in the rear brakes, probably a slipped pad or cable in the drums...:hammer:

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks so much for the insight.

This is a 4CYL.

Brake fluid is fine and now the ABS light is off but the truck is still running as if the brakes are lightly depressed.

Is this something I can check myself (the brakes?)

Any other insight?

Thanks again!

Tbars4 already gave you good advice on what to do.

"I would also jack it up and spin each wheel. This will quickly tell you where it's dragging."

Back