• Register Today It's free!

94 ohv intake gasket

onetat2dfreek

Reaction score
City, State
cumming,ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4.0 eddie bauer 2wd
Hey guys, I am fairly new to this site,first let me introduce myself, my name is brad from Ga. I have a 94 explorer 4.0 pushrod type, I started a project,a simple valve cover replace,and turned into a bit more(all my projects).I have replaced both rocker arm assemblys,cleaned and rebuild injectors,new thermo,pcv plugs.
I have a question about the lower intake gasket,seems there is a few diffrent kind, the orig. is metal one piece. any suggestions and point in right direction would be much appreciated.or any other things that might be done while its brokedown.
thanks
Brad
aka "knucklebusting monkey wrench"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, Brad. I know what you mean about all of your projects turning into more. That seems to be the story of my life. What is your question regarding the lower intake manifold gasket? I had to replace mine due to a coolant leak. First of all, if yours is metal then I'm betting that it's been replaced before. The original was a fiber gasket that was prone to tearing. Ford, at some point, felt that the metal gasket was the way to go.

thanks bill,my engine is a jasper,I have read to use no sealant on the fiber and other gaskets above,I am probally going with the fiber set,any tips? also oil types in high mileage?lifters and cam seem o.k. with out removing heads.

So, you already have a rebuilt engine in your Explorer? That would explain the metal lower intake gasket. How many miles on the truck? How many miles on the engine? Honestly, in my opinion, if it has the metal gasket it should be good to go. The metal ones rarely fail. If you are still going to replace it for "peace of mind", I would personaly steer clear of the fiber gasket. Stick to the metal gasket. Trust me on that one.

thanks,bill the rebuild motor has about 100,000 on it, any ideas on oil to use to help other small leaks and queit her down?

Stay with the metal gasket and follow FORD TSB 95-9-10 to the letter - trust me on this one. . . . your local Ford Service Department should run the TSB off for you especially if you are going to buy the gasket from them - which I highly recommend (I do not work for Ford or a dealer.)

Rocker arms and pushrods should be replaced with Delta Cam product - they have figured out how to quiet these down and eliminate the wear issue . . . their solution is a very ingenious minor machining modification.

How did you rebuild your injectors. . .. I am doing the top end on mine right now due to a number of issues and injector rebuilds are due. . . .

hm i wondering about this myself. im starting to work on my head gasket. i saw a fel pro set for like 180 and it looks good. not sure if its metal or not. if its seems crappy i might call up ford and see if they have any.

BTW how difficult is it to rebuild the injectors? i might try to do mine. and replace FPR. if i have enough money...

thanks, I Did go with the fel-pro gasket it is metal coverd with a fiber material just cleaned everything well and used rtv where the intake meet the heads,the injectors were pretty easy,but i didnt do any flow test,use a #10 or 12 sheetmetal screw to remove the filters soaked in carb cleaner (tied so not to get any on plastic) used an old cell phone charger 5VDC and would every hour or cigarette or so click each one several times. got all parts from mr injector on ebay 24.o0 even shipped extra parts,funny most projects have a few,spray out with compressor,under 40 psi.

I did mine years ago when I was in high school shop. It had the crappy fiber gaskets in there, and I replaced it with the fel pro metal/rubber style. Long story short, it still is not leaking there.

GM has a similar problem with the 3.1L and 3.4L using terrible gaskets from the factory, and needing to replace them with better metal ones.

Oh and with regards to RTV, I usually use a little bit on the corners where the head meets the block, and sometimes you have to make a gasket at each end of the block out of RTV.

Back