94 Ranger 4x4 3.0L vacuum leak questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ranger 4x4 3.0L vacuum leak questions...

iwantacelica

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4 Ranger
hi all...my Ranger is having some trouble. I was changing spark plugs/wires today and I noticed two things. First, there is a pretty sizeable vacuum leak on the snorkel, in between the AFM and the TB. On the underside of the intake snorkel, there is a spot that looks like it is worn away, just in front of the TB. Second, if you look at the airbox, there are two nipples on top. These are for the thin plastic vacuum lines. One of those lines was split. If you follow those vacuum lines along the firewall, one of them runs into a T fitting. Out the other side of that T fitting is where the break is, near the transmission fluid dipstick. I am not sure what that goes to.

Obviously I know that these will cause problems, but exactly what kind of problems would a vacuum leak this big cause?

Inconsistent idle, lean running condition, acceleration problems such as bucking/hesitation, stumbling/stalling, hot running engine, poor mileage, etc..

The main thing to watch out for is a too lean condition, you can do damage to valves, rings and pistons if left to long, and the higher combustion temps can cause overheating, and even crack heads in the vicinity of the combustion chamber, melt plug electrodes and insulators, and blow out head gaskets.

A quick temporary fix to the hole in the intake tube, would be everyone's friend, DUCT TAPE! :p: that big of a leak of un-metered air will definitely cause a potentially damaging lean condition.

Back