'94 Sport front axle not engaging hub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'94 Sport front axle not engaging hub

MythX

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB
When I picked up this truck, the best I could get is 3 wheel drive. Sounds cool, but really isn't. BTW, it's mostly stock, the only mod I can tell it has is the manual hub conversion and some aftermarket shocks, but no lift.

It's the passenger side that won't engage, and what I noticed is that the axle shaft just doesn't extend far enough to reach the hub. I can pull it out then it works.....for a little while before it works its way back in. There's nothing holding it at that position. I noticed that the c-clip is missing (as well as that splined washer behind it), however I'm not sure that's the issue since the drivers side works fine and although it has the c-clip, it's missing that washer as well and the clip doesn't seem to be what's holding it out.

I put the clip on the passenger side, and like I thought it doesn't help. I have a splined washer to put on it, but am not sure I should since it would be spinning up against the spindle. I'm hoping it's not an issue deeper in the axle (such as transfer case).

Any suggestions before I button it back up for the week?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The c-clip and washers that go on the axle shaft splines DO hold it out, and prevent the axle shaft from going in or out of the hub with suspension travel or steering movement.

You want ALL of the washers and clips on the axle shaft and the spindle to prevent any hazards like the wheel suddenly coming off while driving.

Sounds like you may need a new manual hub conversion kit. It should come with the washers and clips needed to replace everything so the manual hubs work with the auto hub spindles. You can keep the old parts as spares.

Thanks for the reply Anime.

Everything I've been able to find tells me I have what I need. There's the manual locking hub, and the spindle nut conversion kit (the conversion kit is 3 pieces, 2 nuts and a locking washer...one the inner nut has the pin that locks into the washer). The c-clip as far as I can tell is a stock part that held the cam assembly for the auto hubs in place. I'm making the assumption that my truck at one time had auto locking hubs.

Anyway, if I install the splined washer which is the only thing the c-clip holds in place, it will be pressing against the end of the spindle. During 4x4 operations, it will spin against it. That just doesn't seem right to me.

I suppose it's also possible that I don't have a stock axle or spindle though it appears very much to match pictures of the '94 I've been seeing during my research. In which case, how can I go about identifying what I have?

Thanks

Followup:

So, since I need my truck to get work in the morning, I put it back together. I went ahead and stuck that splined washer (I think it's a thrust washer) behind the c-clip, otherwise, I don't get the point of the c-clip. The drivers side doesn't have that washer, but seems to stay put just fine.

Took it for a test drive, and it seems to work.....probably won't try 4x4 for anything serious until I confirm that I have it setup correctly. Have the washer spin against the spindle makes me imagine I'll find little pieces of steel next time I pull the wheel off.

Anyway, it's working great for now. I'll post back if I find out anything further.

Thanks

If it's got a conversion, and it's still using the auto hub spindles, it needs the toothed washer and the c-clip on the drive axle end to position it correctly.

Yeah, I know you'd think it would pull into the spindle end and make contact and make all sorts or metal shards, but it doesn't seem to, if everything is working well and the axles are floating like they should. The driver's side axle isn't held into the diff so there's nothing pulling the other direction except the inner bearing seal, and the passenger side axle just has the dust boot in the middle, with the outer axle free to float in and out of the inner axle, so it's just the inner bearing seal giving tension on that side too. So, along with plenty of grease, there should be no binding or grinding. I've had the same hardware on there for 200,000+ miles and there is just some mild rub marks on the washers.

If the axle pulls inward and there is a lot of tension on the splined washer, you'll want to look on the other side and see if there is something wrong with the inner seal or just a lot of old grease or crud pushing it out of the hub.

It's true that the splined washer and C-clip are not part of a manual hub conversion kit, but they are part of the overall axle! You need them, on both sides!
Yes, the spindle does tend to ride up against that washer, but that's the design. If the washer wears (and they sometimes do), you can flip it over and use the other side (I just did this today) or replace them, they are way cheaper than any other part on there.

Like anime said, they hold the axle from sliding IN, that's why your hub would not engage.

Well, thanks for the confirmation. It seems to hold tight up against the spindle, but I'll be doing a complete brake job on it in a month or two....that will bring new hubs (with the rotors) and likely new bearings. I picked up the washer & clip from the pick-n-pull today, they didn't even charge me for it.

(Colorado Springs U-Pull & Pay - figure I owe them a proper thank you)

Anyway, any suggestions for when I do the brakes? I don't want to spend a bunch, but figure the $20 pads and $40 rotors you can get from Autozone and the like are probably not the most recommended.

Thanks

Back