SOA with adjustable shackles, 2"TT up front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOA with adjustable shackles, 2"TT up front

pshaxe

Reaction score
City, State
fayetteville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport
I wonted to do a SOA
and i understand... errr... sorta understand all the caster stuff
but up front i got a 2"TT and i was wonderin if i did a SOA in the back, and use the adjustable shackles (they lift from 1 to 3 inches, right now there at three and it squats in the back) and drop it down to 1" with the SOA if it will still mess with the caster angles. i plan on gettin 4dr springs soon, and dont wanna buy a AAL. but i would love to get those shock perch things that dangle under the axle and hit every rock i cross out of the way and get about another 2" in the back. i have all the stuff to do the SOA with so thats not a problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much lower is your ex in the back? i dont know for a fact, but you would get about 6" of lift with an soa(w/ 4dr leaves), plus whatever extra lift from your shackles which would be a considerable rake to the front. i have wondered what the lift would be with a soa with just the mono leaf and stock shackles. you should try it and write it up.

its about a 1/2 inch lower in the back. also i love the look on lifted trucks when the back sits a tad higher than the front. i guess ill do it and use stock shackles or make some of my own and use the monoleafs. also get some longer torsion bolts

any progress on the mono leaf soa?

haha
well the other day i was on my way home and out of nowhere came a loud ass knockin noise
so me an my dad think i might have spun a rod bearing
soooooo im drop the oil pan today an check it out
but once i get that fixed ive got all my stuff together to start on my SAS
but ill do the SOA with the monoleaf an let yall know once i can get a chance
but it might be a little

Wisekise, I actually did a monoleaf soa about 5 years ago on a 94 explorer I had. I recieved about 3" of lift from this. The monoleaf was completely flat when the weight of the vehicle was on leaf springs and the truck was "wavy" in the turns if I remember correctly. I have pictures of my 94 in this thread, Click on this.

thanks, but i cant see any pics
did you ever have any problems out of this setup?
since i have trashed my mono's, hindsight is a *****, i have also wondered if you could do a soa with a standard 4dr leaf pack and just take 1 or 2 of the leafs out

edit- oh and pshaxe, good luck with the "noise" hope its not major

joey, i didnt think that 1st gen four doors came with monoleafs?
even the 1st gen sports werent monoleaf, so i thought?

thanks, but i cant see any pics
did you ever have any problems out of this setup?
since i have trashed my mono's, hindsight is a *****, i have also wondered if you could do a soa with a standard 4dr leaf pack and just take 1 or 2 of the leafs out

edit- oh and pshaxe, good luck with the "noise" hope its not major

Problems were: flex wasn't all that great, being I only had one leaf, and it was a little wavy side to side on the highway through turns. Other than that, I really liked the ride it had with the softer 2 door monoleaf. Also, I had an soa with 3 leaves in the four door pack and it was still around 4-5" of lift which was too much lift for the rear for me, That's why I went with a monoleaf.

joey, i didnt think that 1st gen four doors came with monoleafs?
even the 1st gen sports werent monoleaf, so i thought?

You are correct, 1st gens four doors did not come with a monoleaf. It was an experimental setup for something to try. I got the monoleaf for free from someone on the site.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 701
  • soa.jpg
    soa.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 615
  • kitty korner.jpg
    kitty korner.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 617

i have a mono leaf on my sport but am worried about doing that kind of fabrication for a SOA because it is my daily driver. Would just a plain shackle lift work with a mono leaf? im lookin to jus get about 2 inches so its close to level with the torsion crank in the front.

Yeah you can just do shackles. If I were you I would go to the junk yard and get a set of 4door leaf packs for cheap and do the shackles.

Back