94 xlt sas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt sas

I have a mostly stock x with 31x11x15 thornbirds on soft 8 wheels and im going to start a sas. I thought about just lifting my x but i am leaning more towards a sas than the ttb, because my buddy has a navijo on 35s with a ttb and ima try and one up him.

Ive done a lot of research on the build and i have talked myself into it. I was going to do the swap with a d30 out of my friends rolled jeep but when i got the axle you can tell by looking at it that it was bent so its going to the scrap yard with some other junk i have piled up. I found me a d44 out of a 78 f150 im going to pick it up this thursday.

Ive already started the tear down of the ttb and will post pics of it. I also did a soa on the stock 8.8 but im not going to use it anymore i dont think? The front is going to be a fw and 5x5.5 i realy dont want to buy an adapter for the 8.8 so i think im going to use a fw 9" so i wont have to worry about either problem.

It just so happens that I started building an 84 F150 with a 9" rear I might be doing some grinding and cutting on it cause that build stopped last year. My x might even see the 351HO thats lurks under the hood of that thing one day but for now the sas. Any info or any regrets would be highly appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

downsize.jpg
Come this friday i will pay to become an elite member but here is a pic on the 31s right before she was pulled into the shop for surgery lol sorry about the pic it was off a crap phone got a new digital last weekend so better ones to come.

heres a pic of the navi ho as we call it that i want to one up on
downsized_0321091834.jpg
thats my old jeep in there too

I got my front and rear axles out thursday and went and looked at my front d44 out of a 79 f150 im going to pick it up sometime next week if all this snow melts by then.

heres a picture of both axles
0128101510a.jpg

heres a pic of the front all grinded and rubber undercoated I still still have to finish cuttin out the drop brackets and then she'll be ready for th d44
downsize-5.jpg

Its been a while since ive posted in this thread.... not much has been done to the x except ive got the 9in mounted and pinion angle set ive still gotta run the brake lines and mount the shocks..... I picked up a front frame section off of a 77 f-150 with everything from the radius arms up to the bummper...... I really lucked out with that one cause i got the complete axle with coil buckets, radius arms & mounts for $150 the only thing it was missing was someone took the manual locking hubs but i have like 3 sets of ford manual hubs and a set of warn manual hubs

heres 2 pics of the frame and axle when i brought it home
IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

I took the axle off the frame and left the coil springs and RAs with the mounts still attached
IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0325.jpg

heres the steering links top is the stock explorer then d44 and the trac bar
IMAG0333.jpg

I also picked up a set of factory 92-96 ford wheels for $40 I kinda like them
with a spare 33 mounted on in
IMAG0319.jpg

One painted black
IMAG0349.jpg

Ive got the axle stripped down i still got to remove the knuckles cause the ball joints are wore slap out....ive got a parts 84 f-150 im gonna rob all the steering links, hubs, rotors, knuckles, ect. ect. and see what all can be used cause most of that stuff is new

Painted up the lower coil mounts, coil buckets, and RAs and mounts......... Finished tearing the axle apart and painted it got the knuckles painted too. I ordered my 7* C- bushing Kit today they should be here by friday........ I dont think ive said that im also doing a m5r1 swap on the x-plorer. the trans is out of my 02 ranger that i grenaded :banghead: its been full rebuilt with new input shaft and cluster shaft, new bearings, and seals. Ive already swapped in the pedals and clutch master cylinder, but the line that goes down to the slave cylinder is missing the little plastic piece that holds it in the slave cylinder so ill have to find one of those somewhere :scratch:
IMAG0344.jpg

RAs and coil buckets
IMAG0345.jpg

ford explorer coil buckets out and frame all painted up
IMAG0332.jpg

here is a pic of the trans with the tail housing off ive got a manual shift t-case and the shift lever from a Ranger
IMAG0342.jpg

Oh yes fun is an under statement lol...... well the my c-bushings came a day earlier so thats a good thing i got the RAs mounted to the axle and installed new ball joints in my knuckles. I also figured out my clutch line problem the metal tabs inside my new slave cylinder were bent flat and werent cathcing the little raised place on the line. The little plastic piece that is missing is used to help release the little metal tabs to aid in the removal of the line........

Havent got a lot done on the x lately between school and work but i have got the coil buckets spaced out ive gotta finish welding them up and drill some more holes in them.

Im having a little trouble keeping the axle centered im using the stock coil springs until my new one come in. ive gotta get my trac bar mounted i know this keeps the axle from moving side to side but i want the axle as centered as posible before i mount it.

I also started plumbing the brakes on the 9in ill get some more pics up soon

did you use the coil buckets off the frame section??

yeah im using them i cut them down to the same size as the d35 ttb buckets.

Ive also got a set of 84 f-150 ttb buckets that i was going to use until i got the 77 frame section but i didnt know if they would even work or not

My springs came in earlier this week i had the x sitting on all 4s first time in a year.... Its on 31s for the time being until i get new tires but i noticed when i stepped back and looked at it if i were to put 35s on it would rub without even turning the wheels or flexing there was only 3" from the tire to the bottom of the fender. So I took the buckets back out and ima move the axle forward another 1" or so and lower the buckets to get a little more lift when all said and done i want to be able to clear 36-37s without a hole lot of fender trimming. Ive also got a question on the r/a mounts im not extending them yet so i want to mount them on the outside of the frame right at the transmission crossmember. question is should i space them down any or mount them flush with the bottom of the frame??? im going to use my factory transmission crossmember for now also i cut the passenger side of the transmission crossmember were it wraps around the bottom of the frame and drilled some 1/2" holes in it and in the bottom of the frame to bolt it in place i cut some little spacers to go between the cross member and the frame because it doesnt sit flush against the bottom when mounted using the factory holes. Ill get the pics up tomorrow to better show my problem

Back