• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer.. bunch of problems

layer04

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 4WD 2DR
first off.. new here.. i'm shaun.... hope to get to know everyone here..

this is the my first car.. just turned 18 a month ago.. bought it a few days ago

first off.... seems to be the biggest issue.. whenever i'm driving.. and i brake (after going at least 10-20+mph) it sounds like something is "banging" or "rolling" under my truck.... i originally thought it was my transmission.. but i'm not so sure because i don't have any other problems when i accel or slow down.. just when i come to a full stop...

second... when i start the truck.. "4WD Low" lights up on my dashboard... then once its running.. it goes off.. is this normal? i'm in 2WD.. but the 4WD indicator lights up when i start up

third... there appears to be something rubbing under the front-driver side wheel... the wheel isn't hitting the body.. so not sure what this is... not too big of a deal..... the first two issues, mainly the first one.. are my biggest issues at the moment

thanks in advance...
shaun

layer04 said:
first off.... seems to be the biggest issue.. whenever i'm driving.. and i brake (after going at least 10-20+mph) it sounds like something is "banging" or "rolling" under my truck.... i originally thought it was my transmission.. but i'm not so sure because i don't have any other problems when i accel or slow down.. just when i come to a full stop...
well check the little things first... things like a rattling heat shield.. or maybe a catalytic converter with a loose element. maybe get under ur explorer when its idling and try to pin point the noise. if you think it only makes the noise when its sitting still and in [D]rive, then put the front wheels up against a curb (but dont go over it), and have some one else mash on the brakes while you get under and pin-point the sound. the explorer itself should not be able to go up the curb in [D]rive (dont shift it to 4LO - keep it in Auto/4Hi).

layer04 said:
second... when i start the truck.. "4WD Low" lights up on my dashboard... then once its running.. it goes off.. is this normal? i'm in 2WD.. but the 4WD indicator lights up when i start up
that can be anything from a whacked out wiring to a transfer-case shift motor thats just on its way out. Start your explorer up and see if the 4WD Low light is on, if it is, keep it in park and get under ur explorer, rotate the front driveshaft as much as your can and take note of how much its able to freely rotate. then drive your explorer for a bit so that the 4WD Low lights come off, then park it again. with the 4WD Low off, check to see how much you can rotate the front drive shaft. if you can rotate the front drive shaft more when the 4WD Lo is off, then ur transfer case motor really is in 4WD Low during start ups and that its not just a faulty sensor on the transfer-case.

layer04 said:
third... there appears to be something rubbing under the front-driver side wheel... the wheel isn't hitting the body.. so not sure what this is... not too big of a deal..... the first two issues, mainly the first one.. are my biggest issues at the moment
this can really be anything again.. from axle bearings, differential bearings, the wheel-hub bearing assembly to a rotor thats binding/rubbing against something.

For the rolling issue, check the jack handle behind the rear seat.

Back