95 Explorer dies when moisture is in the air | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer dies when moisture is in the air

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
Hey guys. So the other night when I was driving home from work, my explorer died at least 8 times. I would put it in neutral and it would start right back up. At first it was just when I would come to a stop sign or stop light. But then as I was driving it would die going down the road anywhere from 20 to 55MPH.

To keep it from dying, I would keep it revved up, but that didn't work either, the RPMS would just drop below 500, then it would die again. At points I was flooring it and the RPMS would jump to 3k, then down to 300 or so, then jump back up and back down, then die again.

My explorer runs REALLY GREAT when its nice outside. This particular night, it hadn't rained but it was foggy and the hood was soaked from all the moisture in the air. What could be causing this.

Funny thing, when I got home I shut it off, changed my clothes and went out for the night, drove fine to my friends house which was 10 miles away, and drove fine home afterwards. It did this one other time a couple months ago, where it would die and start right back up.

Also there is other times where it is raining and it drives just fine. I just don't get it!

Any advice would be appreciated :) I am putting in new plugs/wires/coil pack in a couple weeks. Could this be the problem?

1995 Ford Explorer 2 door version, 255,000 miles now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a fuel pump and or filter issue to me. I know it seems relevant but the "moisture" deal could just be an odd coincidence. If it is grisly a "moisture" issue it could be a naked wire going to the fuel pump. Maybe the fuel system is taking on water some how. Or a vacuum line sucking up water. But id venture my best guess towards it being a coincidence. :)

Humidity - spark plug wires. Try at night to peek inside the engine bay, look for electrical discharge.
But also it might be just a coincidence, and then the fuel pump seems a likely culprit.

Humidity - spark plug wires. Try at night to peek inside the engine bay, look for electrical discharge.
But also it might be just a coincidence, and then the fuel pump seems a likely culprit.

^^ this. i once had a Honda Civic that did this every time it rained. changed the plug wires and it never did it again. do yourself a favor and get Motorcraft brand plug wires. RockAuto is a good source, but also check Advance and Amazon for best price w/shipping cost. If Advance still sells them be sure to use their discount code, it'll save you a bunch.

^^ this. i once had a Honda Civic that did this every time it rained. changed the plug wires and it never did it again. do yourself a favor and get Motorcraft brand plug wires. RockAuto is a good source, but also check Advance and Amazon for best price w/shipping cost. If Advance still sells them be sure to use their discount code, it'll save you a bunch.

Thanks everyone! Changing the plugs and wires next week. I did take off the coil pack today and cleaned it, it was rusty as all hell. Cleaned the pack and the ground it sits on, noticed a big difference when I started it up and drove it. Also noticed the wires NEED replacing. I'm sure the plugs do to. Looks like original plugs, YIKES, since I just rolled over 255.000 miles. This is now priority! Can't believe its still running with plugs being that old!

I know I shouldn't have ran them that far, I got the vehicle at 75k, but I just got it back. After plugs and wires I think everything under the hood will be new cept the engine HA!

If you really want to find a short, go out and night, start it and mist the engine with a fine spray. The arc will light right up nicely.

Back