Please Help 95 Explorer dieing when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help 95 Explorer dieing when hot

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
A week ago I went out 4 wheeling with some friends. I got about 50' from the start of the trail. The truck died, loosing power. it wouldn't even start up. I had to wait till it cooled down before it would start. It took my two tries to get it turned around. I got heading back down toward home. It died again I was able to coast over 5 miles till I pulled over. Once I got it stated again it ran fine all the way home.

It was run about 40-50 miles before it died. from 7000 ft to about 8300 ft. 80% highway the rest gravel/dirt roads.

I had the same problem last year, I replaced the IAC from a previous problem. I found that the pressure regulator was having problems( I was able to tap on it with a hammer as it died and kept running) I did put a used one on last year, with out any problems after. till this year.

I have since replaced the regulator with a new one that day it died.

I just got back from a drive, it died twice once after driving to the trail and on the trail(fire road) and again turning around. Once I got it fired up it ran fine back to the main road and home. It was about 3-5 miles fire road and 35-40 highway.
It almost acts like it is vapor locking.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if it were vapor locking could you just leave the gas cap a little losse and go for a drive? Does it do it all the time or just at altitude? There is a sensor and I think its called a BAP and it senses outside preasure I believe. I don't know if your truck is equipped with oneor not. On my 91 its mounted to the firewall passenger side center just above the motor.

Josh, What does this BAP looks like. I will check and see if mine has one.

Tim

Its black with a little tube like thing sticking out of it about 1/2 an inch just above the motor passenger side center. Mine is actualy recessed into the firewall.

I was checking under the hood today but couldn't find anything that seems like a MAP or BAP. Anyone know where it is on a 95.

Tim

Just replacing the fuel pressure regulator may not tell you everything that is going on. Take some pressure readings under normal conditions and again when it fails especially if this is something that you can regularly duplicate. Your fuel pump may be failing and you need the pressure readings to help isolate and confirm what is going on. I would be looking for readings that are probably on the low side to begin with and then falling when it gets real hot and you are pushing the engine then trouble shoot from there. Have you changed the fuel filter? If not take some readings before and after.

This probably won't help but just a thought. On my truck, the big fuses in the engine compartment were cuasing my truck to stumble sometimes. With the motor running I put my finger on each fuse and found that a slight wiggle would cuase the truck to shut off. Also when I was driving I hit a pot hole and my truck shut off for a second then came back on. My radio reset and everything. Did you notice any problems when hitting bumps? Have you noticed your radio reset? I took all the fuses out and cleaned them with 2000 grit sandpaper. Just a thought :confused:

Back