(95)Explorer Sport, or (99)Ranger Ext. Cab? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(95)Explorer Sport, or (99)Ranger Ext. Cab?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I know here we go again right? Hah, no, anyways, I have 2 people who are interested in a trade, I got rid of my 95 Explorer which was my dd for almost 2k miles, and got a MINT 01 Taurus SES and 300$, long story short, I love the car, but it made me realize im just not really a car guy, let alone in the winter time haha.

I have 2 offers right now:

99 Ford Ranger, Ext cab, XLT I think is the trim. 130k miles Everything works great, no rust, dents, or major scratches, however it needs new brake pads up front, and the tailgate handle doesnt work.

95 Ford Explorer Sport, 130k miles, all I really know until he emails me back is that it runs very strong, great trans, and needs absolutely nothing; and has a sunroof. He just called and gave me info, its black, with grey leather interior, which I love already, its got the stock 6 disc changer, runs great he couldnt say that enough haha, and it needs nothing at all.

Ive been looking on craigslist for another 1st gen, because I love my 92, and miss driving it, but theres alot I like about the 2nd gens, ALOT. Ive also been looking at rangers, because ive seen a few while at work that are lifted just a couple inches with some bigger tires and I think they look pretty badass, tint the windows, and taillights, and get some clear ones up front with HIDs.

Pics I have of the ranger:
yhhg.jpg

yhnkk.jpg

ffrde.jpg

fghj.jpg

(Id wanna swap these out with some leather seats from an explorer)
GetAttachment-4.jpg

GetAttachmentsdf.jpg

(And I would deff. be swapping this out for one with a tach)
fsdfh.jpg

sdfgsdfg.jpg

Got a few of the explorer too now:
3kd3p83od5O55Pf5Sd9cfee82cf34ce7b18.jpg

3nb3ke3o35V35U65Sd9cf6eb98f40f8b510.jpg

3nb3ke3p95T75R25S39cf23c47958666817.jpg

3nc3m53la5V25O85Pb9cf7e8ca9ab567d14.jpg

After talking to that guy just now, im leaning more towards the explorer, but then again id love that ranger too...DAMN lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you considered pursuing the career path of a used car dealer?

Seriously I would buy the P/U and retrofit, the engine trans rear end and PCM from a 5.0X.

Fuel econ is better in the P/U truck. The real question is what do you intend to do with the rear half of the vehicle? Do you need the interior space or do you like throwing stuff in the back? Are you planning on doing work out of it? It's mostly a personal taste decision. Brake pads are $25 and 15 minutes work.

When I see as much brake dust as on the P/U front wheels it makes me wonder if the front rotors are eating pads or if the former owner never washed it. If the cloth interior is an issue for you then know what you are spending on that.

If you were so happy with your ex X then you answered your own question. Brake out the black spray paint. You need more info on the X. You know what to inspect.

I would love to do the 5.0 swap, but I have no clue what the hell I'd be doing, I'd need someone to get everything I needed and do it for me and inlay forthe parts and labor lol. I do have my big sub box to trow back in, which is one reason I'm leaning towards the explorer, but then again the ranger has "4" doors. Would a fiberglass tonneau be weather proof? Enough to keep my subs in the bed maybe? Then I'd go for the ranger.

Is it hard to swap out seats? I thought the explorer seats were a simple bolt in swap...

95 was the worst possible year for Ford IMO

changeover to a new generation, first year is NEVER a good idea

Really? I didnt know that, im sure most of the problems have been worked out by now though lol...

Im leaning more towards the explorer right now mainly for the fact that its a 4x4, has the rear cargo area, (for my subs and batteries and amps) and is the combo I want, black with grey leather interior.

But then each has its ups and downs so idk

BTW I Kbb'ed the 95, and it was showin me pics of a 1st gen, and saying it was like 2080$ in excellelent condition private party, whatsup with that, is that for real? My other 95 was like high 3's in good condition...

Its all your personal opinion. Unless you plan on sound competitions I don't see why you would put subs in the bed of a truck because you're not going to hear the bass in the truck you're only going to hear rattling. And with the amount of brake dust on the front wheels, and the way the truck looks I too wonder if its been washed in a while, or if possibly the calipers are not releasing completely and causing the brakes to hang up. From the interior picture of the 95 explorer it looks like a 4 door and looks like a 96. I had a 95 and it had its share of issues and have heard the same from others, explorers are great but not so much the 95 ex's. I would shoot for either a 92-94 Ex or a 96+ Ex, you been a member here long enough you should know what to look for in an explorer when looking at one you should know the problem areas.

BTW I Kbb'ed the 95, and it was showin me pics of a 1st gen, and saying it was like 2080$ in excellelent condition private party, whatsup with that, is that for real? My other 95 was like high 3's in good condition...

The possible reason for some first gen pics is because I have seen some 95's that were first gen explorers. And in reality I don't see someone getting $2,080.00 from a 95 Explorer I just don't see it unless it has some modifications to make it worth paying that price for an old truck.

Its all your personal opinion. Unless you plan on sound competitions I don't see why you would put subs in the bed of a truck because you're not going to hear the bass in the truck you're only going to hear rattling. And with the amount of brake dust on the front wheels, and the way the truck looks I too wonder if its been washed in a while, or if possibly the calipers are not releasing completely and causing the brakes to hang up. From the interior picture of the 95 explorer it looks like a 4 door and looks like a 96. I had a 95 and it had its share of issues and have heard the same from others, explorers are great but not so much the 95 ex's. I would shoot for either a 92-94 Ex or a 96+ Ex, you been a member here long enough you should know what to look for in an explorer when looking at one you should know the problem areas.

Ive heard alot about most years, but never really anything problem wise about the 95's...

Ive been looking for another 1st gen since my brake line went out on it, 2 1/2 months ago, and STILL havent found any id be interested in. Id love to trade for one but trust me, I havent seen any special, I am still looking though.

WOW good eye, I see what your talking about, in the picture with the sunroof, you can see the rear doors...im gonna have to call him and ask about that, maybe thats why theres no SIDE shots either.

I said put the subs in the bed though because I frequently have at least 1, but usually 2 people in the back (along with me and my gf up front) so there wouldnt be room at all. Ive actually seen a buddy who had a fiberglass cap on an S10, cut out a hole in the back of the cab and "front" of the bed big enough to fit the box through, so the subs and port actually was in the cab, but not taking up any room whatsoever...it sounded good too, no rattling or anything, they did caulk the hell out of the outside edges too so that helped.

The possible reason for some first gen pics is because I have seen some 95's that were first gen explorers. And in reality I don't see someone getting $2,080.00 from a 95 Explorer I just don't see it unless it has some modifications to make it worth paying that price for an old truck.

Now that you say that, I do remember seeing a few 95's on craigslist that were 1st gens, I thought maybe they typed the wrong years, but guess not.

I meant the subs in the bed wouldn't make sense without some good modifications to the truck. And you have to watch buying used vehicles very carefully some people will say anything or do a quick fix just to sell it, When looking I like to see the vehicle when the motor is cold and not yet been started the beginning of the day and then take it for a drive til it warms up to operating temperature since some issues don't appear except for when they're cold and at operating temperature.

Yea I know about the engines and whatnot, when I traded my 95, I drove the taurus around for a good 20 minutes trying EVERYTHING, heat, ac, all windows, radio, brakes, shifting, stopping, etc

Things are leaning toward the explorer. The truck needs too many mods to suit your life. The seat change is easy mechanically speaking but a bit of a nightmare electrically. Finding good leather seats b expensive too.

I would shop kbb looking for a good 5.0l even if you have to drive 80 miles to see it. There are plenty of people in need of cash right now. Tell them you are broke and you only have $X,x...

Yea I'm leaning towards the explorer she said the ranger needs brakes, tires, and the passenger door doesn't lock or unlock on it's own. I'm gonna probably try and look at that explorer tomorrow, I gotta get all my wires and speakers out of the Taurus tonight

Yea, explorer for sure. Im gonna try to look at it tomorrow, depending on if I get all my stuff out tonight. She said she would see what she could do about the rangers tires at least and said someone just bought it, so explorer it is (if I like it in person because those pics obviously arent it)

A good bit of people don't list their vehicles accurately so that could be the right explorer and just called it a sport. Good luck.

Thats what I thought, but on the phone he kept sayin its a 2 door

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got back from the dealership, guy was nice as could be, and I drove me home a MINT condition 95 Explorer Sport :D

Those werent the explorer in the pics, this one is SO much cleaner, and it runs and drives perfectly.

Everythings already black that I would have painted (Grill, trim etc)

Pics when I get home for sure :D:D:D Im so happy with this one, I like it MORE than my 92!

Back