95 explorer xlt 4x4 4r55e w/bw 4405 no drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 explorer xlt 4x4 4r55e w/bw 4405 no drive

dcsrvs

Reaction score
City, State
LA Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ford explorer xlt 4wd
This is my first post here. Yes Im a rookie here. So I hope I'm doing this right.
Ok my question is what could cause this and how would I remedy it.
I have a 95 explorer xlt 4x4 v6 4.0 w/4r55e w/4405 transfer case 158,000.ml
I was making a sharp right on a freeway onramp and I heard a quick screech noise. I thought it was my tires but i was not going fast enough to do that. Nothing change at all in vehicle performance. Proceeded on to freeway and traveled about 4 to 5 miles cruising at 65 mph. when in an instant,no warning, no noise,no lights,the drive train lost power. Like some one just turned it off. The engine reved to about 3200 rpm I backed off the gas pedal and pulled over to stop. Then tried all gears and all 4wheel drive positions and reverse. Nothing worked no drive at all. In low and revrse if you increased rpm to about 2500 you could feel very slight pressure like it was trying to move but just wasnt strong enough. Towed home.:(
So whata ya think doc ? electrical:-relay-sensor / mechanical:-band-clutches? Thanks for any helpful knowledge anybody can contribute. sincerely

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my first post here. Yes Im a rookie here. So I hope I'm doing this right.
Ok my question is what could cause this and how would I remedy it.
I have a 95 explorer xlt 4x4 v6 4.0 w/4r55e w/4405 transfer case 158,000.ml
I was making a sharp right on a freeway onramp and I heard a quick screech noise. I thought it was my tires but i was not going fast enough to do that. Nothing change at all in vehicle performance. Proceeded on to freeway and traveled about 4 to 5 miles cruising at 65 mph. when in an instant,no warning, no noise,no lights,the drive train lost power. Like some one just turned it off. The engine reved to about 3200 rpm I backed off the gas pedal and pulled over to stop. Then tried all gears and all 4wheel drive positions and reverse. Nothing worked no drive at all. In low and revrse if you increased rpm to about 2500 you could feel very slight pressure like it was trying to move but just wasnt strong enough. Towed home.:(
So whata ya think doc ? electrical:-relay-sensor / mechanical:-band-clutches? Thanks for any helpful knowledge anybody can contribute. sincerely

Same thing with my 95 but got it into 4 low and drove 150 miles home going 35 tops. Mine was transfer case went to bone yard and got one for 86 bucks but its from a 99 still its a 44 05 but later model hoping this works will let you know in a couple hrs

4r55e no drive

Same thing with my 95 but got it into 4 low and drove 150 miles home going 35 tops. Mine was transfer case went to bone yard and got one for 86 bucks but its from a 99 still its a 44 05 but later model hoping this works will let you know in a couple hrs

hey Rusty did your transfer case make any noise? I changed transfer case about 2 yrs. ago. I had a simmilar incident then but it made a bad noise. this time no noise at all except for the screeech on the on ramp about 5 miles back.im thinking electrical,torque converter,band,maybe. ok well thanks for the reply & keep Ford Wheeling

Yes, well over time it has had this like whistling screech, especially when cold, then no signs except for right before it happened it had a bearing noise,then slipped out of gear ad when Igoosed it ,it went back in,for about 5 miles then never would engage again except 4 low.It was weird though I was reading this forum and someone said to disconnect negative cable, and shift to 2wd and i did and it actually drove great for 40 miles,then got off freeway and hit a stoplight and then this time,only went to 4 low and now nothing

had this happen was the shift fork in the transfer case , broke

Back